Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook UX301LA

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook UX301LA

For anyone else who finds this while trying to get ubuntu installed, be aware that 12. is not new enough for the hardware but 13.10 is (seeing mistermagio's post was what showed this to me). I haven't tested 13.04.

Has anyone been able to get the camera working? This seems to be another issue with the basic install.

Beans

My Laptop is Back.

Second try to install Kubuntu on it !

Beans

Well, here is a summary of what I have done.

First I broke the RAID0. It's a software one, so broke it using a live USB kubuntu.
    New partition:
    sda : EFI (300Mo) + Windows (NTFS 128 Go) + swap (8 Go) + ubuntu root (30 Go) + share (NTFS 85 Go)
    sdb : home (256 Go)

Install Kubuntu 13.10 + Windows 8.1 dual boot.
    Disabled in Windows 8 the hybrid hibernation (true power off)

Everything is working fine except the bluetooth for the moment.

Beans

Thanks for that Pantale. Any idea where I can find more information on how to "break" the RAID0? I am considering doing this but don't want to mess things up.

Cheers

Beans

What I have done is the following:

1) On the pre-installed Windows 8 session: select Parameters - On/Off - Reboot and press reboot with the Shift key on. This will allow you to enter bios setup
    2) In the bios, disable Fast Boot to allow to boot from a USB stick
    3) Boot on your Live USB xUbuntu and select test the live usb
    4) open a terminal
    5) Enable your network
    6) type apt-get install gparted gdisk
    7) Use : gdisk /dev/sda to delete all partitions (there is 6 partitions)
    8) Do the same on : gdisk /dev/sdb to delete all partitions (there is 6 partitions)
    9) Reboot the live session

You now have no more raid0 and can use gparted or anything similar to partition sda and sdb.

Beans

So no need to actually change the "RAID" setting in the BIOS to AHCI? Simply deleting all the partitions is enough?

Beans

No you don't need this change.
    I have switched to AHCI further after one or two days. Better to do this before installing windows 8 because it will not boot anymore if you select ahci after the install. A google search may help you.
    Or you have to reboot windows 8 using "safe mode" after changing the parameter in the bios in order to auto enable ahci in windows. Next boot wil be ok.

Beans

Found that disabling XHCI Pre-Boot Mode in BIOS makes the Bluetooth work. But unfortunately it disable the Usb 3.0 interface. Therefore external disks speed transfer drastically decrease.
    Also when this parameter is disabled you can have the backlight keyboard operate.

Beans

Excellent stuff. thanks for the info again.

Beans

Found something interesting !

Adding acpi_osi= to the kernel paremeters in grub makes the f5/f6 keys change the backlight level, but the is no relation with the backlight control through the sliders.
    Have to put 'acpi_osi=' without any parameter. I know it's quite strange but it works, and I don't know why ?

Olivier

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast