Thread: how do i enble/add universe repositry to my ubuntu 13.10? please help me.

Beans

how do i enble/add universe repositry to my ubuntu 13.10? please help me.

i have reinstalled ubuntu 13.10 saucy. actually the problem is that when i try to download from ubuntu software centre , it says the software is availble from the universe source , and showing an option of 'use this source' but when i click it nothing happen in progress bar. it is not with all softtwares but most of them. actually when earlier i installed i was facuing the same problem i found something(command) on internet and ran it on terminal. and then it works. but now i dont have that command . i also have enabed universe source in setting software and updates tab. bbut still faacing this. can anybody please provide me those commands to add repositry for saucy. i can remeber that it was three step command. having 'sudo' in first command. update in second or third. please i dont understand all thease things please help me plz. because without it my ubuntu is looking useless all the useful softwares need that universe repositry. thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: how do i enble/add universe repositry to my ubuntu 13.10? please help me.

What happens when you:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    Please post the exact errors output.

Beans

when i run theaswe commands in terminal. thhis is result

Duplicate sources.list entry http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ saucy/restricted i386 Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_saucy_restricted_b inary-i386_Packages)
    W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
    amrish@amrish-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get update
    E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You haven't got Synaptic or Software Centre open at the same time you are trying to do this by any chance?

Please post your sources file.

Code:
    nano /etc/apt/sources.list
    Paste the output of that command here.