Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnome interface

Beans

Gnome interface

I downloaded and made a bootable USB from this link:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GetUbuntuGNOME

However, when I boot to that USB drive, what I come to is what appears to me to be that same $$(@*$*&*@ Unity interface.

I thought this was suppose to give me a version of Ubuntu with a GNOME interface.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Gnome interface

Close any apps and post a screen shot of the Desktop.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Close any apps and post a screen shot of the Desktop.
    I can not even figure out how to take a screen shot of the desktop on this $%*$@((@@ !!!!!!

When I go to screen shot to attempt to take a shot of the desktop the desktop that I just came from is no longer there to take a shot of.

When I initially boot to the USB key what comes up has an ACTIVITY listing in the top left corner of the control panel (display is a grayish background with little droplettes of water on it).

When I click on that activity listing a drop down appears on the left slide of the screen with several menu choices on it which looks like a Unity interface to me. This is NOT what I want. I want Ubuntu like it used to be before all of this Unity stuff.

Thanks.
    Last edited by joverstreet1; December 10th, 2013 at 02:58 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

First - if you want help, please stop the melodrama.

Second. Ubuntu Gnome comes with the gnome 3 shell desktop which is superficially similar in appearance to Unity. Here are some screenshots.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubunt...r-382969.shtml

Is this what you are seeing?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you want a gnome2 experience, then give Linux Mint Mate a try. More of what you want. Less of what you don't want.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    First - if you want help, please stop the melodrama.

Second. Ubuntu Gnome comes with the gnome 3 shell desktop which is superficially similar in appearance to Unity. Here are some screenshots.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubunt...r-382969.shtml

Is this what you are seeing?
    Yes, those appear to be what I am seeing. Apparently, what they are referring to as Gnome is not the same thing that I used in the older versions of Ubuntu. This still looks like what I thought was a Unity interface - just can not use this. Better stay with Mint.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I've not used Ubuntu gnome, but that link mentions that it comes with the Gnome Classic desktop as well, which is the gnome3 emulation of the old gnome 2 desktop, I believe. You should be able to select it at the login screen. Or you can install either the mate or cinnamon desktops in Ubuntu. Or, as you say, use Mint. Plenty of choice.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu is a fast-paced, six-monthly distro. Linux is an operating system where parts get entirely rewritten for various reasons.

To an extent, you should either get used to change, or use FreeBSD or Windows.

"It doesn't look like Gnome 2" is not a reason to refuse to use a desktop. You obviously haven't used Unity or Gnome 3 for any length of time, I suggest giving either of these desktops a real chance before running back to Mate.

Mate won't be around forever.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

You have installed Ubuntu-Gnome which is Gnome-Shell and yes it does have the old classic look desktop, but is built through gnome-shell.

If you would do a regular Ubuntu install

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

and then (after the install is complete) open a terminal and enter:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
    That will give you the old (gnome2 look) desktop option at login (by clicking on the icon in the login window). Which will give you a classic desktop with effects (compiz window manager) or no-effects (using metacity as a window manager).

With your current install you are using gnome-shell and mutter window manager.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...indow_managers

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pr...eClassicTweaks

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12857225
    Last edited by ibjsb4; December 10th, 2013 at 04:50 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Ubuntu is a fast-paced, six-monthly distro. Linux is an operating system where parts get entirely rewritten for various reasons.

To an extent, you should either get used to change, or use FreeBSD or Windows.

"It doesn't look like Gnome 2" is not a reason to refuse to use a desktop. You obviously haven't used Unity or Gnome 3 for any length of time, I suggest giving either of these desktops a real chance before running back to Mate.

Mate won't be around forever.
    With the way windows has changed, from what I've heard, I don't believe your comment above is valid, and there are other very good reasons for not using Windows, in my opinion. I can not comment on FreeBSD as I have never used it nor seen it in action.

Nor, probably, will unity be around for ever, but that's not the point.

The OP finds unity difficult to use, as do I, hence my move after the gnome 2, Lucid 10.04 lost support to Xubuntu 12.04, not exactly like gnome 2, but near enough to keep me happy.

In spite of many users liking unity, I have tried many times to get used to it, but I'm afraid it still baffles me completely; it looks great but is simply not compatible with my way of using a computer. I often have several applications open at the same time, some with more than a single window, and I like to move from one to another with a single click in the panel window-buttons, very easy with gnome 2, and xfce and others, but so much more non-intuitive when I'm using unity.

Personal preferences is surely part of what linux is all about !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast