Thread: permanently change location of /home/<username>/Music

Beans

permanently change location of /home/<username>/Music

Hi, I cannot find the solution to my problem despite spending a couple of hours googling.

What I want to do;
    Change the location of /home/<username>/Music to somewhere else, ie a different hard drive than the one being used for / and the other os mount points.

what I DO NOT want to do;
    relocate my entire /home

My progress
    /etc/fstab
    # store on 1TB drive
    UUID=ac3435fb-f1b3-4d5a-8380-9edc9823caa3 /media/Storage ext4 defaults,user 0 3

manually
    sudo mount --bind /media/Storage/Music/ ~/Music/

more info,
    I am using an SSD for my mint 16 os. rather than fill that up with stuff I want to use a partition i have set aside on another hdd.
    I have tried having a google, and thought pysdm would be my salvation, but that has been removed.
    disks does not allow what i am trying to do either.

/media/Storage has folders named Music, Pictures, Videos etc so they are ready to be mounted

i believe i cannot edit /etc/fstab to do what i want as it does not understand who the user is due to it being run before a login [so to speak]

yes i can just paste in the manual line into program startup, but as you can guess i don't want to stop with just relocating my Music folder.

one solution may be to run a script for the user once the user has logged in, but i have never scripted in linux so i don't know;
    what to put into the script or where to put the script to get it to run.

i have tried ubuntu tweaks and whilst it did work during one of my tests, it forgot the settings when i rebooted.
    similarly .config/user-dirs.dirs did not stick after reboot

hope i posted this request for help in the right place.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: permanently change location of /home/<username>/Music

Welcome. Move the folder to a new partition (or location), once you know it has copied correctly delete the /Music folder in /home/user/Music, create a symlink at /home/user/ that links to the copied folder:

Code:
    sudo ln -s /home/user/Music /path/to/copied/music
    This will create a symbolic link called /Music in /home/user to the copied folder, wherever you have put it. I use this method with ALL directories in my /home directory. I have three installs and this way all of them access the same directories, /Music, /Video, /Documents, etc.

PS: Not sure you need the 'sudo' at the beginning of that command.

Beans

Cheers that seems to have done the trick.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Great. If so, please mark thread as solved by following the info in my signature. Cheers.