Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browser problems

Beans

Browser problems

I've tried numerous Linux distros for many years now. With every one of them there has been something simple but vital for me that hasn't worked. A the moment I'm trying lubuntu, and I gather from extensive browsing on a non-linux machine that firefox in particular has been troublesome on ubuntu and derivatives for several years, and that there's absolutely no hope that any browser will ever work reliably on successive updates of this platform.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Talking Re: all browsers crash in LUbuntu 12.10 32-bit

I gather from extensive browsing on all machines in this household that Firefox and Chromium work better than in Windows.

If you have an exact problem to solve you are welcome to post it, but broad and general statements do not serve any purpose and are less welcome.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Re: all browsers crash in LUbuntu 12.10 32-bit

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    I gather from extensive browsing on all machines in this household that Firefox and Chromium work better than in Windows.

If you have an exact problem to solve you are welcome to post it, but broad and general statements do not serve any purpose and are less welcome.
    Sorry, but I've spend quite a few hours on this one and read a very large number of posts, which are plethoric because these difficulties are long-standing. Some posts describe my exact case (Firefox and Chromium just disappear after a few seconds). You can't expect every user to provide detailed diagnostics in that sort of situation, where hundreds of people report similar but slightly different failure modes, and no reliable solution has yet emerged.

Sometimes, you can blame the computer and not the OS, but that probably doesn't apply to the majority of reports of browser trouble. One unsolved hardware case I had (and has been reported) was that Toshiba Satellite portables seriously overheat with Fedora 16. They didn't work too well with W7 either, until someone suggested deleting Toshiba's own crapware (thermal regulation seems to depend on software with these machines). There was no solution for Fedora & I wasn't tempted to try an Ubuntu flavour on the Satellite.

That shows how hard it will to find a broad and general solution to the numerous major & minor difficulties we encounter with Linux distros. M$ has more resources for fixes because of their established market position. Apple just charges a lot of money for hardware/software bundles.

Unfortunately, browser unreliability is a really big issue that needs a higher priority, because it makes an OS unusable for most people, even those motivated to make the move to more interesting solutions. It can't be treated as just another bug of the kind one has to get used to.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Browser problems

The tread is drifting from a support request, moved to Recurring.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by crl2 View Post
    ...I gather from extensive browsing on a non-linux machine that firefox in particular has been troublesome on ubuntu and derivatives for several years, and that there's absolutely no hope that any browser will ever work reliably on successive updates of this platform.
    What?

I've been running Ubuntu and various other linux-based distributions for over three years and can state Firefox has never had any issues.
    It is quite reliable.
    I update and upgrade my systems daily, and from release to release.
    What are you trying to do with Firefox that you seem to be unable to do?

Keep in mind that several things cannot be done on linux firefox such as run Microsoft Silverlight.
    But that is a linux/microsoft issue and nothing firefox can do about.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

And my experience with Google Chrome has been similar to deadflowr's observation about Firefox...oh sure, occasionally a few little glitches come up which they usually get corrected pretty quickly, but in general i would have to say it's been smooth and solid for me...can't imagine what kind of problems you are having...maybe they are being caused by something else that you are not aware of...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use Google Chrome as well.
    Only issues with chrome have been audio sync with pepperflash and an issue a long long time ago with failing to load.
    But that was way way back when chrome was in the single digit versions.
    The old issue was a simple fix, which I forget as I needed to do it one time.
    The sync fix was done almost as fast as I reported it.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

The question has been moved somewhere else, apparantly. Firefox stays on the screen for no more than a couple of seconds. You don't need to to anything for it to go away spontaneously. Chromium was the same. Midori lets you do a couple of searches if you're quick, then it disappears.
    I did the usual round of web searches; this sort of problem goes back several years but doesn't affect all users. Various proposals were made as to the cause, but these were inconsistent and unhelpful, and in the light of past experience I just gave up. It was an old but reliable XP machine, and I gave it away to someone who wants to use XP until that dies.
    This problem and the reaction to it is similar to the bad early days of Vista, when an unexplained show-stopping file management problem was discounted because it "only affected 1% of users".

Beans

Claims such as "I gather from extensive browsing on a non-linux machine that firefox in particular has been troublesome on ubuntu and derivatives for several years" would benefit from citations.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Claims such as "I gather from extensive browsing on a non-linux machine that firefox in particular has been troublesome on ubuntu and derivatives for several years" would benefit from citations.
    I thought there were enough indications earlier in the thread before it was moved. Can't cite them all, but here are a few obtained using a web search engine:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1603181 (2010)
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1592068 (2010)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=908879 (2008)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1762988 (2011)
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/11940...-after-upgrade (2012)

There's a recent bug report that apparantly affects 1 person. Presumably, people who just want to use their computers don't usually do bug reports:
    [URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1256545"]https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1256545

As I said earlier, and after re-reading some of the citiations, this one really does matter to a lot of potential (l)ubuntu users. No doubt a lot of XP users will be looking around when support is withdrawn next year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast