Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extremely complicated and user unfriendly

Beans

Thumbs down Extremely complicated and user unfriendly

I can't believe how complicated and user unfriendly this whole Ubuntu thing is! I got at least 5 error messages during the installation process with absolutely no explanation or help link or ANYTHING that would help me to solve the problem. I had to google each message and then search for the right answers all over the internet. Even the Ubuntu forum registration is extremely painful! How can anyone think that this system could become popular?? NEVER. I consider myself a very experienced computer and internet user and this is the worst thing I have ever encountered.
    Last edited by 1976.europa; December 7th, 2013 at 07:36 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Extremely complicated and user unfriendly

Hello, sorry to hear about your bad experience. Without any details no one can help you. If you are just venting your frustration away, I'll move this thread to a better suited subforum.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Thumbs down The worst thing I have ever encountered

I can't believe how complicated and user unfriendly this whole Ubuntu thing is! I got at least 5 error messages during the installation process with absolutely no explanation or help link or ANYTHING that would help me to solve the problem. I had to google each message and then search for the right answers all over the internet. Even the Ubuntu forum registration is extremely painful! How can anyone think that this system could become popular?? NEVER. I consider myself a very experienced computer and internet user and this is the worst thing I have ever encountered.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Threads merged and moved to the Recurring Discussions.
    J'aime les fraises.

| Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

And in contrast we have this.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2192386

One man's meat proverb?
    Last edited by philinux; December 7th, 2013 at 08:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Unlimited, lifetime warranty. If it ever fails, you get to keep it.

Linux installation can be difficult. Have you ever tried to reinstall Windows? How long did it take? Did everything work correctly the first time?

What got you to try Ubuntu? Popularity and utility are often at odds. How many farm trucks do you see on the road?
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Hi !

I installed ..

- Windows Ubuntu installer Wubi on Windows Vita (notebook from 2007), Windows 7 starter (netbook from 2012)--> it worked without problems.
    Because it installs with the Unity desktop, on the 2007 machine --> needed much power and was slow, so I installed with "apt-get install" the "Lubuntu desktop" to the Ubuntu installation. And than it was fast, with this Lubuntu desktop (its a lightweight desktop)

I installed Ubuntu as Dual boot with Windows, on 2 different desktop PCs (from 2007 (desktop pc, had Windows XP), from 2013 (mini pc, with Windows 8 and 8.1)) the installation worked always. I installed the Lubuntu Ubuntu directly, so not Unity desktop.. (which I could still install to it..). Lubuntu desktop is really good. I enjoy it.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Extremely complicated and user unfriendly

I'd never worked with Ubuntu at all before downloading and creating a "live CD" of Precise about 3 weeks ago. Booted the CD, looked 12.04 LTS over and played with it for a day or so and decided to put it to a HDD. Had an old WD-60gb ATA out in the garage and put it into one of the removable drive racks. Booted from the CD again and this time installed Precise to that ancient drive. Thought because I'm totally unfamiliar with Linux and have only a modicum of knowledge when it comes to working with anything that resembles a "terminal" that I would be in for hours of laborious and tedious learning. NOT SO. Precise took off and ran perfectly finding all my devices and components. I was up and on the net in less than 1 minute after Precise precisely located my DSL connection. Sure, Precise looks a little different and for a 'new-bee' to Linux, such as myself, it can be slightly confusing but with just a little patience and perseverance the transition from XP to Precise was more than manageable. I installed Precise on that old ATA drive and so far haven't missed or needed to go back to visit Mr. Gates. The old adage "anything worth having is worth working for" is a precise description of Precise. I've always liked a challenge and never was one that cried and whined because someone wasn't holding my hand when something didn't work the first time exactly as I thought it should. Can I get my money back when ******* messes up? NOPE! Can I get a refund on Ubuntu? That's one thing I never see myself needing to do. Kudos to all the volunteers and dedicated folks that make such a great OS available to all for such a minimal outlay. For their efforts I thank them from the bottom of my heart.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

^ *likes*

I seriously doubt the OP will be back anytime soon
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Well, to be fair to the OP, I've had 13.10 versions (Lubuntu currently) spawn repeated warnings about errors during installation, and upon subsequent boots, that it wants to report upstream. I've grown tired of clicking "cancel" on these announcements every time I reboot. This is an entirely new behavior I haven't seen in earlier versions, and I can understand how it would turn off newcomers. I, for one, think no released version of Ubuntu should have this feature enabled by default. It makes sense while a release is in development, but once it goes into production the default should be no warnings. You could ask the person whether she would like to enable warnings during the installation process, but it should not be the default behavior.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast