Thread: Daru2 Display Problem

Beans

Question Daru2 Display Problem

I don't know if it's still appropriate for me to post on here, since my computer is way past its warranty period. But I thought I'd give it a try.

I have a Daru2 (ms-1221) computer whose display recently started acting strangely. The display works perfectly fine when the lid is open up to about 10-15 degrees then it goes to black,so I can't put the lid all the way up without the dispaly going blank. This, of course, makes it impossible to work on without using a secondary display. My problem is that the computer still is in great shape. I'd like to fix it myself if I can.

I don't think I want to send it in, because it would probably be too expensive.

Is there an easy way to fix this myself, or should I resign myself to having to use a secondary display?

thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Daru2 Display Problem

There is typically a thin, multi-wire cable that runs through the hinge to reach the LCD display. Over time, the wire twists and flexes and finally breaks or shorts out. You can probably find the cable on line. Labor is a couple of hours because you have to take the machine apart. If the hinges are wobbly, you might want to replace the hinges as well, because they wear out as well. You can watch some youtube videos on how to do it. Most laptops have a similar procedure to replace the cable. It's a difficult procedure, but worth doing if you have the time and patience.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Re: Daru2 Display Problem

Thank you! I'll do some more research on it and see if I have the patience to do it.