Thread: Chose Gnome over KDE and im thinking i regret it.

Beans

Unhappy Chose Gnome over KDE and im thinking i regret it.

Okay guys so I'm totally new if not obvious by # of posts, area posted in, so on and so forth. However I have found that Linux has been a blast so far and it leaves me wanting to learn more. If someone who has been around the game for a while could help me it would be greatly appreciated. I am running backtrack 5 r3 to play around with but am so far just learning how to use linux with the terminal. I found that the Gnome version has no software manager and when searing I cant find one on the list of Gnome applications. Also, it appears that KDE just has a TON more applications overall. I would like to know how to find these repositories of useful apps and also how to add repositories in terminal without a visual software manager. Lastly, what have you guys and gals found to be the best resource for learning linux other than good old usage?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Chose Gnome over KDE and im thinking i regret it.

Actually both versions and Unity and XFCE are all a kind of shell over an OS. It's amusing to see that if you install another shell like XFCE you get a few new apps but all your installed software is still available. It may depend on other libraries, but those were already installed. And on the same system the files in ~ remain the same, no matter what interface you use. In Ubuntu there exists synaptic to install software, but what that gives in backtrack 5...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Moved to Other OS/Distro Support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Gnome's software manager is usually called "Software" in most Gnome distro's I've used. If Backtrack is a full Gnome implementation, it ought to be there. Synaptic is an optional software manager many prefer for Debian, Ubuntu and other deb-based systems.

The best way to decide which kind of interface you like is to burn live images of different distros and try them out. After a while, you will have some specific attributes you will insist on or avoid at all costs.

Beans

Thank you very much. I don't see the software area but I just went ahead and learned to install through terminal. Its just like driving a standard car. You like the extra performance but sometimes you just wanna drink a cup of coffee on the way to work

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Most of the instructions on UbuntuGuide (Unity/Gnome) / KubuntuGuide (KDE) are oriented towards the command-line (which for some power users is often faster). Look at it as a potential reference:

UbuntuGuide / KubuntuGuide:

http://ubuntuguide.org

As a disclaimer, I am a dyed-in-the-wool Kubuntu (KDE) user.
    Last edited by perspectoff; December 8th, 2013 at 04:41 AM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.