Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual boot with Win 7

Beans

Dual boot with Win 7

Hello there and thanks for viewing my thread. So I got everything ready to install Ubuntu (first time) alongside with Windows 7. This is my first time dual booting o I just want to be sure I'm doing this right.

Everything was all fine and dandy until I got to the installation bit of Ubuntu.

Here's my Hard Drive layout as viewed through Windows 7 (see pic 1)

In one of my earlier threads, someone said to just install on unused space. When I'm choosing where to install Ubuntu, I just get this screen (see pic 2)

What should I do? Will installing it to that partition erase files?

Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Remember2Wipe; December 5th, 2013 at 05:39 AM.

Beans

Re: Help with installing Ubuntu to free space on Hard Drive (dual boot Win 7)

Are you sure they are the same disk? The windows disk has 22G free, and is 596G total, while sda is 640G with no partitions at all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Dual boot with Win 7

Boot with Ubuntu and 'Try Ubuntu without installing', open Terminal [Ctrl+Alt+T], run the following command and post its output here:

Code:
    sudo parted -l
    sudo fdisk -l
    Another thing, was this HDD ever part of a RAID Setup? Get into your BIOS and check what mode is SATA set to....
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Also check for an option "Dynamic Disks" under Windows and turn it off if present.

Beans

Trying this first.

Following this guide. Where it says to click "Convert Dynamic Disk to Basic Disk" is greyed out when using the partition wizard. Does this mean it isn't a dynamic disk?
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...asic-disk.html
    Last edited by Remember2Wipe; December 5th, 2013 at 10:42 PM.

Beans

Did first thing. A bit confused since it says some apple and mac stuff on there. Never had OS X installed

Warning: /dev/sda contains GPT signatures, indicating that it has a GPT table.
    However, it does not have a valid fake msdos partition table, as it should.
    Perhaps it was corrupted -- possibly by a program that doesn't understand GPT
    partition tables. Or perhaps you deleted the GPT table, and are now using an
    msdos partition table. Is this a GPT partition table?
    Yes/No?
    Model: ATA Hitachi HTS54756 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 640GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
    Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags

Model: hp DVD-RAM UJ8B1 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sr0: 4700MB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 2048B/2048B
    Partition Table: mac

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
    1 8192B 24.6kB 16.4kB Apple
    2 3669MB 3678MB 9306kB EFI

Beans

I will say, I've been running this off of a LiveCd for 30 min or so and it's much faster than Win7 right now. Love the interface and everything

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Your Windows does not show an efi partition and Windows only boots from gpt partitioned drives with UEFI which has to have the efi partition for boot files.

I would see what this says:
    FixParts is the easiest way to remove the stray GPT data. GPT fdisk (gdisk or sgdisk) can do it, but the procedure's a bit more involved.
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/fixparts/

It looks like you DVD has the Mac partition??
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Warning: /dev/sda contains GPT signatures, indicating that it has a GPT table.
    However, it does not have a valid fake msdos partition table, as it should.
    Perhaps it was corrupted -- possibly by a program that doesn't understand GPT
    partition tables. Or perhaps you deleted the GPT table, and are now using an
    msdos partition table.
    Yes, Fixparts, should take care of this for you...

With GPT partition table you don't have to worry about 'Dynamic Disks' so much. And you don't have one.

Like oldfred points out, you don't seem to have an EFI partition of about 200Mb with FAT32, which is a must for UEFI However, I have seen one particular OEM at least, using NTFS for this... Linux will have a problem using NTFS EFI during partition.
    Check in your BIOS/UEFI to see what mode it is using to boot: UEFI or BIOS/Legacy/CSM? Although it is a given that Windows will only boot from GPT in EFI mode.

After using Fixparts you should be able to install Ubuntu... but before you do that "Try Ubuntu without installing" and post the output of commands as requested in my post #3.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    Yes, Fixparts, should take care of this for you...

With GPT partition table you don't have to worry about 'Dynamic Disks' so much. And you don't have one.

Like oldfred points out, you don't seem to have an EFI partition of about 200Mb with FAT32, which is a must for UEFI However, I have seen one particular OEM at least, using NTFS for this... Linux will have a problem using NTFS EFI during partition.
    Check in your BIOS/UEFI to see what mode it is using to boot: UEFI or BIOS/Legacy/CSM? Although it is a given that Windows will only boot from GPT in EFI mode.

After using Fixparts you should be able to install Ubuntu... but before you do that "Try Ubuntu without installing" and post the output of commands as requested in my post #3.
    First off, thanks to both of you for taking the time to help a noob out here.

As a noob, I have more questions.

You got a bit technical in that part, would it be possible to...dumb it down a bit? Like as in, step by step instructions?

Also, as this is my first time using a non-Windows OS, how do I go about installing fixparts? I've downloaded the package and I don't know what to do with the files (no .exe!!!).

Probably seems like I'm not ready for Ubuntu if I can't even install it, but my goal here is to learn

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast