Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dual boot with Win 7

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Dual boot with Win 7

That was the version I downloaded a while back. I tried to reinstall and it gives me an error but that is because it already is installed.

I have not seen that error, but if you downloaded it from sourceforge it should be ok.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Getting ready to just end this thread. Will try downloading Fixparts again. If that doesn't work then I'll backup data that I want to keep and start fresh. I have the Windows Installation disc so it's not a problem. If I was to start over, what could I do to make sure I don't make these mistakes again so I could (hopefully) have a cleaner run through this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The issue is the when Windows converts a gpt drive to MBR(msdos) it does not do it correctly and leaves gpt backup partition data on drive.
    You have to fully reformat and fixparts is the easiest way to fix that issue.
    Just about everything else is a full zero out entire drive and start over.
    Normally fixparts just works. not sure why you are having so many issues.
    Are you running it from the live installer?
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you want to start afresh then BACKUP all your important DATA.
    Boot with Ubuntu DVD/USB, "Try Ubuntu without installing", open terminal [ctrl+alt+T] and run the following command:
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
    This will zero out your HDD... all data and the partition table and its backup will be removed.

Open Gparted.

Look under 'Device' on the menu bar, you will have an option to 'create a new partition table', create it. Default will be 'msdos'. If you go into 'Advanced' you have more options from dropdown, including GPT.

A quick note about 'msdos' and GPT.
    msdos/MBR: is almost 30 years old and is being phased out. It does not support HDD more than 2TB/2000Gb. It has only 4 Primary Partitions limit. To overcome this Limitation we use an EXTENDED partition which can furter contain 100 or more LOGICAL partitions. MBR/msdos is compatible with BIOS.

BIOS has been replaced with newer UEFI. UEFI deals/communicates better with newer hardware.
    More on UEFI.

GPT: is a requirement for UEFI. This is the present and the future. It supports HDD more than 2TB. It have more than 100 PRIMARY Partitions, hence no need to create an Extended Partition.
    More Advantages of GPT

If your BIOS/UEFI supports EFI booting then I recommend that you install your OS in EFI mode [you can enable EFI boot in UEFI/BIOS]. For EFI to work you need GUID Partition Table [GPT] on you HDD.
    To be able to boot in UEFI you need a dedicated partition on your GPT HDD of about 500Mb or less, formatted with FAT32 with a 'boot' flag.
    Windows can install and Boot from GPT ONLY in UEFI/EFI mode.
    How to install Windows 7 in UEFI/EFI mode.

Ubuntu on the other hand can boot from GPT both in 'Legacy/MBR/CSM' and UEFI mode.
    However, if you are dual-booting then you have to use ONE mode ONLY for both (all) your OS. In other words, if you install Windows in UEFI then Ubuntu must also be installed in UEFI.
    To install Ubunt in UEFI mode you MUST boot your DVD/USB in UEFI/EFI mode only.
    More info: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UE...VD_in_EFI_mode

If you want to opt for 'msdos' boot then you can, as well. Its your call.

Suggested Partition Scheme for:
    Code:
    GPT: (all partitions are Primary)
    500Mb FAT32 'boot' flag (for EFI)
    50Gb NTFS Windows C: 
    200Gb NTFS Windows D: (This partition can be used to share data between Windows and Ubuntu)
    20Gb Ext4 '/' Ubuntu system files
    20Gb Ext4 Free (In case you want to try another Distro or another ubuntu flavor or version)
    4Gb SWAP
    All the remaing GB Ext4 (you can either use this as '/home' or just plain Data partition)
    [Adjust the Size of your data parittion accordingly and based on your needs]

Code:
    MBR/'msdos': (Only 4 Primary Partitons)
    50GB Primary NTFS Windows C:
    200Gb Primary NTFS Windows D:
    20Gb Primary Ext4 '/' Ubuntu
    All the remaining Gb EXTENDED
    20Gb Logical Ext4 Free
    4Gb SWAP
    All the remaining GB Logical Ext4 (Linux data partition).
    Choose you option wisely.
    Good Luck...
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

I took a break for this for a day. I've been messing around with partitions in the past couple of days. Through messing around I learned a lot and can better understand other pieces of advice here. And everything is so organized

Anyway, regarding OldFred, I'm running fixparts off of the Ubuntu livecd.

Thanks for the info fantab. If this doesn't work then I'll come back to your information.

To be able to boot in UEFI you need a dedicated partition on your GPT HDD of about 500Mb or less, formatted with FAT32 with a 'boot' flag.
    Alright,
    How to set flags?
    What is a dedicated partition?

I've been using MiniToolPartition Wizard for partitioning if that makes any difference. Are those options only for GParted? I don't see them anywhere.

Seriously, huge thanks for sticking to this thread for so long. Very helpful
    Last edited by Remember2Wipe; December 9th, 2013 at 05:55 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I only know gparted.
    A dedicated partition is just one set as the efi partition for UEFI boot. Not for BIOS boot.
    If you have gpt and Windows you have UEFI boot as Windows only boots from gpt partitioned drives with UEFI.
    If your drive is MBR(msdos) partitioned you must be booting with BIOS even if motherboard has UEFI.
    UEFI Compatibility Support Module (CSM), which emulates a BIOS mode

Ubuntu will boot from gpt with either BIOS or UEFI boot modes and new versions of Ubuntu installer will boot in either mode and then install in that mode. But drive need to be correctly partitioned to match unless a totally new drive.

Most of all the links explaining this is in the link in my signature.

Beans

Do these partitions look acceptable? Just want a final opinion before I try installing again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Remember2Wipe; December 9th, 2013 at 11:41 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It looks reasonable.
    It shows operations pending, so it is like gparted in that you have to run the changes.
    I usually try not to queue changes as sometimes they seem to conflict or if an error somewhere it causes issues. Hopefully your minitool works ok.

Did you run fixparts? Or does mintool have a way to remove the backup gpt partition table?

Beans

I'm going to try fixparts again later tonight. I was just laying out partitions, I haven't applied the changed yet. I don't think minitool has a way to do that.

Got to go, homework to do!

Will hopefully update later tonight

Beans

Hello and thank you to anyone who is still following this thread. Sorry I am a bit later than I said I would be, school.

I gave it a shot for the first time in about a week. I'v successfully installed fixparts now. Did the same thing as last time but this time it worked. Not complaining

Anyway, what do I do now? I've been following the instructions as laid out on http://www.rodsbooks.com/fixparts/.

I open up the terminal and paste the following into the terminal:
    # fixparts /dev/sdc

It just jumps down to the next line without showing any sign of it having done anything. Shouldn't it look more like the stuff posted below? I tried changing the last letter to "a" and "b" (I have no idea why, thought it might do something). Anyway, I'm pretty open to working on this for the rest of the week. No more long absences

# fixparts /dev/sdc
    FixParts 0.8.8

Loading MBR data from /dev/sdc

MBR command (? for help): p

** NOTE: Partition numbers do NOT indicate final primary/logical status,
    ** unlike in most MBR partitioning tools!

** Extended partitions are not displayed, but will be generated as required.

Disk size is 3981312 sectors (1.9 GiB)
    MBR disk identifier: 0x00000000
    MBR partitions:

Can Be Can Be
    Number Boot Start Sector End Sector Status Logical Primary Code
    1 * 62 1171799 primary Y 0x07
    2 1171800 1562399 primary Y 0x83
    3 1562462 3124799 primary Y Y 0x0C
    5 3124862 3980213 logical Y Y 0xAF

MBR command (? for help):

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast