dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans

Re: Valve joins The Linux Foundation

Cool video. Thanks for sharing!

Beans

Joining LF in and of itself is no big deal, Adobe is a member of LF for a long time. (Not to diminish the impact of Valve, just saying being a member of LF in and of itself means nothing )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Joining LF in and of itself is no big deal, Adobe is a member of LF for a long time. (Not to diminish the impact of Valve, just saying being a member of LF in and of itself means nothing )
    Valve is finally bringing commercial gaming to Linux, and I'm not talking WINE either, native Linux games that run better than Windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dbass81 View Post
    Valve is finally bringing commercial gaming to Linux, and I'm not talking WINE either, native Linux games that run better than Windows.
    No disagreement with that. I am only saying that being a member of LF in and of itself is no big deal, as Adobe is also a LF member, it has abysmal support for Linux to begin with and it is dropping whatever support it has (the process is almost complete now that even acroread is gone, though I never use it)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; December 5th, 2013 at 05:56 PM.

Beans

No disagreement with that. I am only saying that being a member of LF in and of itself is no big deal, as Adobe is also a LF member, it has abysmal support for Linux to begin with and it is dropping whatever support it has (the process is almost complete now that even acroread is gone, though I never use it)
    Yep. Adobe Flash 11.2 is the last supported version for Linux with backported security fixes, but that is Adobe. At least we have a native Flash player for Linux. Valve is really pushing for Linux support. Almost all their games have Linux ports, SteamOS runs on Linux. Its good to finally see a big name like Valve supporting Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Maybe they just joined to get the dell/hp/lenovo discounts
    https://www.linuxfoundation.org/abou...ndividual/join

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Being a member of the Linux Foundation has nothing to do with building something for Linux. Members of the LF either have a certain amount of man hours dedicated to building the Linux Kernel or make a certain financial donation. A good example of this is Samsung, they do not build anything for Linux but instead make hefty financial donations to the LF. Adobe Flash being proprietary is not what made them a member of the LF, it is either developer hours or money.
    We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
    - Linus Torvald

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by grier-devon View Post
    Being a member of the Linux Foundation has nothing to do with building something for Linux. Members of the LF either have a certain amount of man hours dedicated to building the Linux Kernel or make a certain financial donation. A good example of this is Samsung, they do not build anything for Linux but instead make hefty financial donations to the LF. Adobe Flash being proprietary is not what made them a member of the LF, it is either developer hours or money.
    Really? I could have sworn Samsung has contributed Linux coding. Source?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast