Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should I do with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: What should I do with Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by cessanfrancisco View Post
    As a semi-newbie, myself, I would suggest using Ubuntu as much as possible and discover what it doesn't do that you would prefer it to do, i.e. cursor behavior, hibernate/suspend, various application preferences, power management, etc. Then do the research to learn how to make the changes. By doing this you'll learn a lot at once through a very hands-on approach. Also, as the others have said, learn the command line; at least on a fundamental level.

With Lubuntu, I even don't see any need for hybernation. Shutdown and Booting works very fast. Now I have and SSD harddisk, but also with a normal harddisk, it's very fast compared to Windows.

Beans

I could never figure out the command line with Windows. Since switching to linux, I have easily fallen in love with the terminal! Once you start using it, you'll find that you'll want to use it more and more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hello and welcome!
    I would install the Synaptic package manager, you can think of it as the "pro" version of the Software Centre.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    Bear in mind that you cannot run Synaptic and the Software Centre simultaneously as they are both using the the same "apt" utility.
    In Synaptic you can easily select things like "Status>Installed" which shows you what is actually installed.
    If you then right click on an application, select "Properties" and open the tab "Installed files" you can find, among other things, that some documentation is installed in a place that you may not have known about.
    You can copy the location then when in the Nautilus file manager press Ctrl+L to change the navigation menu and paste the location straight in.
    Synaptic is very powerful so try not to remove vital system utilities.

As for the command line install Guake and you will have a cool drop down terminal to impress your friends with your hacker skills
    It's also very handy. If you like it then add it to "Startup Applications"
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install guake
    Two commands that I still have a problem with are "find" and "locate". Learn about those and maybe you can give me advice later
    Code:
    man find
    man locate

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: What should I do with Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by shyflower View Post
    I could never figure out the command line with Windows. Since switching to linux, I have easily fallen in love with the terminal! Once you start using it, you'll find that you'll want to use it more and more.
    I've recently been trying Midnight Commander (MC)..You might really like it..I changed the colors as well and it looks all cheery and inviting rather than black and dismal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Commander

the Synaptic package manager is also a must have. I've use3d it for 10 years and like it better than the software center.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Mate, mock around with WINE and try and your Windows games and apps running on Ubuntu! If you like to tinker, you'll definitely have to tinker around with WINE! Many hate it, some love it! I'm one of the lovers...

Download the linux-native-Steam and play some games.

Build a SteamMachine but running Ubuntu with Steam and run it on Big Picture mode and hook it up to your TV. Get a second hand XBOX 360 controller and a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12