Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus T100 Transfomer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Asus T100 Transfomer

Starting this for tips on getting the asus t100 notebook working with ubuntu, there is currently a thread on this at the xda forums.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2500078

I have got it booting using usb, and managed to install to disk but i can not get to grub yet currently it loops at boot and does not display grub.

copied boot efi 32 to the windows boot partition pointed at the file in windows using bcdedit copied custom grub.cfg to the installed ubuntu but no luck actually getting to grub.

any suggestions ?

I will update here if i figure out whats wrong.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Asus T100 Transfomer

Some links for anyone else who attempts this,

Currently the best source of information there is also a report of getting intel graphics working on 14.04 though i could not get xrandr to work for me and still have to use nomodeset and fbdev driver.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2500078

sound driver does not seem to exist, bug report here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1259099

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I just got mine, will be working on getting this up and running. I picked up the 32G version with a 500G hdd in the keyboard.

Have you tried running Ubuntu 64 bit? From my understanding, it's not wise to run from a 32-bit bootloader; but I do wonder if this can be bypassed by using rEFInd. I plan to target a working 14.04 x86_64.

For the sound, hoping it's not too dissimilar from the alc5632 driver -- it should be a good starting point.

Graphics look promising -- Intel has new drivers, have seen reports of the VESA BIOS bug being fixed....

I think the devil will be in the detail to make this a satisfying experience -- power management, screen rotation, light sensor, etc.
    Last edited by Jhongy; February 13th, 2014 at 09:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro

... looks like according to this bug report, cross-arch is now supported in the kernel. So ultimately there should be no problem booting a 64-bit image from the T100's 32-bit UEFI.

Beans
    Distro

OK, so I've managed to get Ubuntu running and installed, accelerated graphics working. Testing wifi and screen rotation now...

I'm using the 14.04 livecd daily build, with a drm-intel-next kernel. To get GRUB working you need to compile a bootia32.efi, using grub-mkimage and copy it to /EFI/Boot on the USB stick; and again (to /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu) once you're installed. [ you need to compile for x86 despite being on x86_64]. To boot you need to hit 'e' in grub and add a kernel parameter: nomodeset

Then, with the drm-intel-next kernel, you can replace nomodeset with video=VGA-1:1366x768e .

I'll come up with simplified instructions in a blog post once everything is up...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jhongy View Post
    OK, so I've managed to get Ubuntu running and installed, accelerated graphics working. Testing wifi and screen rotation now...

I'm using the 14.04 livecd daily build, with a drm-intel-next kernel. To get GRUB working you need to compile a bootia32.efi, using grub-mkimage and copy it to /EFI/Boot on the USB stick; and again (to /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu) once you're installed. [ you need to compile for x86 despite being on x86_64]. To boot you need to hit 'e' in grub and add a kernel parameter: nomodeset

Then, with the drm-intel-next kernel, you can replace nomodeset with video=VGA-1:1366x768e .

I'll come up with simplified instructions in a blog post once everything is up...
    edit: oops, misread. also, wrong account. why do I seem to keep accumulating new Ubuntu accounts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi,

How are you getting along? I've got a friend's T100 that has destroyed itself - Win 8!!!!!

If I can get Ubuntu on there then it's a winner. I've rebuilt it to Win 8 once already - not pleasant - so Ubuntu on there would be a treat.

thanks for any reply

Beans
    Distro

Getting there...

Can boot and install, the following is now working:

- Graphics (including accelerated graphics)
    - Restart (use kernel command line reboot=pci,force)
    - Proper CPU frequency scaling (need 3.14-rc4 kernel or later!)
    - Wifi (but very poor connection -- you need to copy across your NVRAM; this is difficult to get in 64-bit, so see my repo below)
    - Touchscreen
    - Light sensor (with my driver; see my repo below)

The following only work on 32-bit:
    - Power off, suspend/resume (require mixed-mode EFI runtime services for 64 bit, which should be coming to the kernel soon. I've been trying patches but no luck yet.)

Almost working with lots of patches:
    - Sound (with latest patches from the intel/haswell-audio-dsp branch of the "asoc" linux git repository. However sound is mono/scratchy and causes mine to become meltingly hot [i.e. some chips are red hot and will burn you through the casing] -- so give it a few days! Will update when it's usable)

Not working yet:
    - ac/battery status
    - Tablet buttons (I've half-written a driver, but the underlying subsystem doesn't seem to be ready -- give it a few more days)
    - orientation / accelerometer sensor (I'm trying to update the inv_mpu6050 driver to work with this (mpu6500; there's a driver in android), will update my repo when ready; there's already an applet in the repo for screen [including touchscreen] rotation though, so once this is done it will be more "tablet like")
    - Backlight adjustments
    - Some hotkeys (fn+F1 - F7)

All the "stuff" I have is in here: https://github.com/jfwells/linux-asus-t100ta

Once I've got sound safely working, I'll post a blog post on how to get everything working, but for now, here's a quick rundown:

- Create a bootable USB image (GPT FAT with EFI folder) using a latest Daily CD image of trusty. The "Rufus" tool is useful for this in Windows.
    - Add a grub EFI bootloader compiled for 32-bit, regardless of the architecture of the CD image you chose, rename it to "bootia32.efi" and put it in the EFI folder. There are instructions in the Ubuntu wiki on how to do this, but I've put in a howto below. You'll obviously have to do this from a different computer.
    - in "BIOS" disable secure boot, and boot from the USB
    - In grub, hit "e" on "try ubuntu", and replace the "quiet splash" command line with "video=VGA-1:1368x768e reboot=p,f"
    - You can then install. After installing, fix up the command line options in /etc/default/grub, run update-grub, and copy over the bootia32.efi you made earlier to /boot/efi/EFI/Boot (backing up the one that's already there). Also copy over /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grub.cfg to /boot/efi/EFI/Boot . (the "ubuntu" boot entry is not used; if using 64-bit, you can't use efibootmgr to update it, so I just ignore it).
    - Set your bios to boot from the internal MMC disk (ignore the "ubuntu" option).
    - After installation, replace the kernel with the latest compiled mainline kernel (3.14-rc5), then check out the above for any fixes.

Again, once this is stable and more is working, we can package up everything so it is easier for new users. But for now, with no power management or tablet buttons, it's best only for users who want to test and submit patches / bug reports.

Instructions for making bootia32.efi:
    Code:
    mkdir dev
    cd dev
    sudo apt-get install git bison libopts25 libselinux1-dev autogen m4 autoconf help2man libopts25-dev flex libfont-freetype-perl automake autotools-dev libfreetype6-dev texinfo ia32-libs build-essential
    git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/grub.git
    cd grub
    ./autogen.sh
    export EFI_ARCH=i386
    ./configure --with-platform=efi --target=${EFI_ARCH} --program-prefix=""
    make
    cd grub-core
    ../grub-mkimage -d . -o bootia32.efi -O ${EFI_ARCH}-efi -p /boot/grub ntfs hfs appleldr boot cat efi_gop efi_uga elf fat hfsplus iso9660 linux keylayouts memdisk minicmd part_apple ext2 extcmd xfs xnu part_bsd part_gpt search search_fs_file chain btrfs loadbios loadenv lvm minix minix2 reiserfs memrw mmap msdospart scsi loopback normal configfile gzio all_video efi_gop efi_uga gfxterm gettext echo boot chain eval
    Last edited by Jhongy; March 5th, 2014 at 04:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro

nice information, i cant compile grub myself though i get this error
    checking for target linking format... unknown
    configure: error: no suitable link format found

any ideas ? on 13.10 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron