Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic 4 primary partition problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Classic 4 primary partition problem

I have a HP Pavillion DV7 laptop with 4 primary partitions(all windows). I know there various ways of doing this like deleting the HP Tools partition and resizing C but I wonder if this alternative will work for installing Ubuntu as a dual boot. I notice that the Windows program Easus Partition manager has the option of changing Primary partitions to Logical (or vice versa)on the fly. Is there any good reason why after the appropriate backup I couldn't change the C drive which is quite large to logical and then shrink it and using the left over unallocated space create an Ubuntu install? I am assuming that changing a drive to logical this way does not delete the data on the partition or prevnt it from booting.
    I believe the 4 partitions on my HD are HP Tools, Recovery, System and a quite large C Drive with all the programs and Windows on it
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Classic 4 primary partition problem

Since you're planning on messing around with the Win7 "C" partition, you should really post your concerns to the Windows 7 forum: sevenforums.com.

If you change the "C": partition, my guess is that Win7 will no longer boot -- but I've generally followed the maxim "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" -- meaning, Windows has enough problems working OK as is, messing around with it's primary OS partition is asking for trouble.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro

OK I tried to change c drive to logical but Easus won't let me because it is a system partition. So I converted HP Tools to logical . I then resized the C drive producing 120GB of unallocated space for Ubuntu. Easus say that there are 3 primary partitions (including c) and 2 logical (HP Tools and unallocated). So I booted to Gparted and tried to work with the unallocated space but it will not let me create a partition there it says I have too many primary partitions. Any suggestions short of deleting Windows partitions?

Oh I did try to attach screen shots from Easus but the forum is not accepting the shots (tried bmp,jpg and jpeg all small files from screen shots)
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Since you're planning on messing around with the Win7 "C" partition, you should really post your concerns to the Windows 7 forum: sevenforums.com.

If you change the "C": partition, my guess is that Win7 will no longer boot -- but I've generally followed the maxim "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" -- meaning, Windows has enough problems working OK as is, messing around with it's primary OS partition is asking for trouble.

Thanks I must have posted at the same time as you. Yes I found out I can't changes the OS partition to logical.
    It seems to me that I am asking how to install Ubuntu on a Win 7 machine without compromising Windows so the Ubuntu forums seemd a logical place to ask. I had gone to an HP forum with the same question and that is where I saw the option to convert C drive to logical
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-N...ed/td-p/742019

Beans

I have no idea what EASUS does, but if it is using dynamic paritions, that won't work for you. Generally, you backup the small partition at the end (tools?), delete the partition, defrag the C partition (which should be the last one now), and then shrink it from the right, leaving a big block of free space. In the free space, make an extended partition (which is the 4 th primary now), an within the extended, make a logical for the tools (and restore it from your backup), and make logical partitions for Ubuntu root and swap (and whatever else you want like home). BACKUP everything on the system however! When changing partitions, things can go horribly wrong.
    Good Luck.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Ubfan
    I wanted to avoid deleting Windows partitions entirely but it seems HP has made this virtually impossible. I realize if I delete HP Tools as you say I will have fewer primary partitions allowing me to create an Extended partition with logical partitions. But does that not mean that I will not be able to install HP Tools again because I will not be able to create a primary partition again without wiping Ubuntu. It is a mystery why OEM manufacturers have created this conundrum( guess it is about $)

edit:It appears from my screenshot that there are now only 3 primary partitions why can I not format the unallocated space?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SuperFreak; December 3rd, 2013 at 01:18 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It looks like you have a d: between the unallocated and HP tools. You can only have one extended partition and all logical partitions must be in the extended. No primary partition can be in between the logicals.

My laptop already has 4 primary partitions: how can I install Ubuntu?
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/14982...install-ubuntu
    Good advice on how to handle all four primary partitions used. - srs5694
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1686440
    Be sure to create recovery DVD(s) first. And a Windows repair CD.
    HP tools partition discussion - similar for other vendor utility partitions:
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteboo...on/td-p/228360
    For a complete blow-by-blow on dealing with HP's four partitions, see Full Circle Magazine, issue 41, page 36. - gordintoronto
    http://fullcirclemagazine.org/
    This suggests removing system partition and making c: the bootable partition. But has details on all alternatives
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-N...ed/td-p/742019
    Shrinking a Windows 7 partition is best done in Windows. But do not create new partitions with Windows.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Old Fred
    Would it be possible to move one of those partitions so Unallocated and Logical are adjacent
    I know using Gparted to move partitions around is quite time consuming would it be better to make clones of HP Tools and the primary partition and then switch their relative positions?

Edit: Ok Old Fred I had a look at your links some of which I have already read. The reason I started this post was to see if there was a way of installing Ubuntu on a computer with 4 primary partitions without losing them permanently. The idea of backing up HP Tools and then deleting that partition comes closest to what I want. The problem is that although you have backed up HP Tools there is no way of reinstalling it once you have Ubuntu on the system because then you have the 4 primary partition dilemma again. My solution is to make HP Tools a logical drive. I was able to boot to that drive and see the tools once I did this so I don't think it matters if it is logical or primary. The next matter which I did not understand is to make the unallocated space from C adjacent to the logical HP Tools partitioning.I am hoping all I need do is shrink drive D at it's beginning by 100 MB and then copy HP Tools into that partition and then expand D into the old HP Tools partition space.
    Does that sound reasonable?
    Last edited by SuperFreak; December 3rd, 2013 at 02:59 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

HP Tools partition contains HP Tools.. You can copy these tools either on a separate partition or on a separate drive/disk externally. Also its a very small partition with only 100Mb of space.

Your best option is to delete HP Tools partition and convert the space gained by shrinking \C:, Unallocated space to EXTENDED partition and have Logical partitions on it. If you want you can create a Logical partition of about 100Mb and copy back HP Tools in it.
    The 100Mb space you have as 'unallocated' at the end after deleting HP tools partition can be merged with \D.

If I were you, I would SHRINK my C more, I'd reduce it to like 150GB.
    [Windows will NOT allow 'Shrinking' beyond a point, that's because of enabled Hibernation function. Follow the discussion here for more info: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...shrink-17.html]
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro

I will give it a try tomorrow if I have time,,,Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast