Thread: Opening programs that I download.

Hybrid View

Beans

Opening programs that I download.

I'm having a tough time figuring out Ubuntu. I feel like an 80 year old trying to use a computer for the first time

I have a few files that I have downloaded off the internet that I wish to open and run on my new Ubuntu OS. No program that came with Ubuntu is able to open to install it however.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Opening programs that I download.

Can we know what kind of files are those so we could recommend you a software available for Ubuntu to open those for you?
    Files which you have downloaded using a browser (Probably Firefox which is preinstalled) go in your Downloads folder which is at Home > Downloads.
    Last edited by bhaveshnande; December 2nd, 2013 at 04:56 PM.
    IF you are looking for stability, stick with LTS. The interim releases (between LTS releases) aren't meant to be stable, they are used to try out new features that will be included in the next LTS release.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

If you're new to Ubuntu it might be best to stick with the repositories for now. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware and http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

1st off welcome to the Ubuntu Forums. 2nd I agree with bhaveshnande that it is better to know what you are trying to open from your downloads so we can better help you.