Thread: Does xfce use Compiz by default?

Beans

Does xfce use Compiz by default?

Does installing and using Xfce on Ubuntu still use Compiz while you are logged in under a Xfce session?

I thought the whole point of Xfce was a lighter, faster desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Best way to install XFCE (Xubuntu) alongside (Unity) Ubuntu 13.10?

Quote Originally Posted by jsavga View Post
    Does installing and using Xfce on Ubuntu still use Compiz while you are logged in under a Xfce session?

Who said that Compiz is used in an Xfce session? You can if you want to but I'm nearly certain that Compiz isn't used by default in an Xfce session.
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Compiz is NOT default in xfce4 or Xubuntu. It's not installed.

Beans
    Distro

It's also a good idea to start your own thread rather than ask in an existing thread. That would be more helpful to others.

My understanding is that Compiz is a window manager. By default, a Xubuntu session or an Xfce session will not use any other window manager except the default window manager which is called xfwm4.

Of course, you can use other window managers, lighter or heavier, if you wish

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Moved to new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    It's also a good idea to start your own thread rather than ask in an existing thread. That would be more helpful to others.
    +1. Indeed. Consequently the posts regarding this have been moved to a new thread.

@jsavga: Please refrain from hijacking threads (for a lot of reasons). If you have a question just post a thread and ask it.

Beans

Re: Does xfce use Compiz by default?

Xfce has its own compositor. I prefer to use compton with xfce because it has a GLX backend and prevents video tearing.
    What would happen if your hard disk died right now?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Does xfce use Compiz by default?

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    Xfce has its own compositor. I prefer to use compton with xfce because it has a GLX backend and prevents video tearing.
    And here's a thread on Compton: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2144468

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Moved to new thread.

+1. Indeed. Consequently the posts regarding this have been moved to a new thread.

@jsavga: Please refrain from hijacking threads (for a lot of reasons). If you have a question just post a thread and ask it.
    Sorry guys, I did not intend to hijack anyone's thread. The thread that I posted in (and my reply was moved from) is at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2188971

The OP asked about installing Xfce on Ubuntu and one of his/her replies talked about Compiz with Xfce:
    I was looking to have the DE look and feel similar to the xubuntu one (i.e. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eRfS24bR4I...12.10-apps.png) with compiz too. But so far it looks and runs like windows 98, and the changes I make in CCSM aren't affecting anything (enabling wobbly windows in there doesn't make the windows wobble, for example).
    I had thought that Compiz wasn't used in Xfce and that Xfce was designed to be a low resource DE while Compiz and Unity are high resource. This is why I replied in that thread with:

Again, I'm very sorry if it came across as a threadjack. That was never my intention. I should have quoted the OP's post in my reply so it was clear I was questioning something they stated.

Beans
    Distro

..., I'm very sorry if it came across as a threadjack. That was never my intention. I should have quoted the OP's post in my reply so it was clear I was questioning something they stated.
    We've all done something like that before! It can be subtle ... whether something is or is not a side-issue and whether it should be discussed in the same thread or in a new one. So, nothing to feel bad about

Sometimes, even an original post isn't focused and raises several issues and that really complicates things.
    Last edited by vasa1; December 3rd, 2013 at 03:26 AM.