Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unable to locate package ubuntu-desktop

Beans

Re: Unable to locate package ubuntu-desktop

If the local computer you want to display the desktop on is Linux based then there are plenty of native Linux VNC clients - the default one for Ubuntu is called Remmina. I'd only suggest using TightVNC as the viewer (client) if you're on Windows.

BTW you REALLY should tunnel the connection over SSH - raw VNC is *not*secure and your VPS will likely be flooded with connection attempts if you leave the default VNC port open

Beans

If I could get this to work on remmina that would be fantastic.

So I ran a"pt-get install xorg lxde-core remmina" - That looked to be succesful.

When I try to set a password though I get:

** (remmina:4017): WARNING **: Could not open X display

(remmina:4017): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Beans

Huh?

You run Remmina on your local machine, and use it to connect to the VNC server + lxde running on your VPS

There is no need to install Remmina on the VPS (in fact it's pointless, since there's no local display)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    Huh?

You run Remmina on your local machine, and use it to connect to the VNC server + lxde running on your VPS

There is no need to install Remmina on the VPS (in fact it's pointless, since there's no local display)
    I have tried numerous times to connect through remmina. Using the IP - username (root) and password.
    Everytime get: "Unable to connect to RDP server ..."

How would I be able to connect through remmina?

Beans

Mean VNC server, not RDM

Beans

If you are running tightvncserver on the VPS, then you should be connecting via the VNC protocol not the RDP protocol. Make sure you specify whatever display number you started the tightvncserver on in either :display or :port notation e.g. if you did

Code:
    vncserver :1
    on the VPS then enter the remote host into Remmina as either your.ser.ver.ip:1 or your.ser.ver.ip:5901

I strongly advise against running a VNC server as root - especially an open (untunnelled) one

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    If you are running tightvncserver on the VPS, then you should be connecting via the VNC protocol not the RDP protocol. Make sure you specify whatever display number you started the tightvncserver on in either :display or ort notation e.g. if you did

Code:
    vncserver :1
    on the VPS then enter the remote host into Remmina as either your.ser.ver.ip:1 or your.ser.ver.ip:5901

I strongly advise against running a VNC server as root - especially an open (untunnelled) one
    Oh great thankyou. I was missing the :1

I get a completley red screen. When I right click I am able to get into the 'computer'
    I installed firefox in the terminal, how can I move it into a CD that I can access?
    Once I get this down, I will move on to securing it.

Thank you very much!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123