Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seems running an empty OS and an ext hd is the only secure way to run on the Net...

Beans

Seems running an empty OS and an ext hd is the only secure way to run on the Net...

..from a conversation with a genius Linux writer..

Good reasoning dude, I sees your Internet security is perfect as it gets, at full throttle, on all three fronts.. But I sees too, that one needs to know a Lot more than most about the workings of the OS for to be on the front and top of all security issues all the time as your system is.. It's perfect in every way.. but it's expensive in every-way.. Some ways contain "unknown venom's".. I sees the big values in your choices and methods, and I sees how much better your system is to all others.. solid and perfect as it gets, but yours ain't free, and it's always hungry.. You're still running on "if it's free it ain't worth anything".. I don't have your kind of dollars yet.. and yours has a frontline that takes a whole quarter of the day's resources, everyday.. Is why I run this freebie system of "basic walls", boosting security walls by only running tasks on the ext hd, which is easy to install and remove, secure, hide, store and run.. and is much more reliable than CD's and flashes.. If everybody ran the OS this way, soon there probably wouldn't be any hackers.. there wouldn't be anything to hack... Maybe what's needed, is something like an "angel OS" that has a shield OS in-front of its base OS.. Or a "cyber-wall OS" locked with an actual physical plastic key with accompaniment launch-button... Maybe could be an addition to the keyboard..? and/or a code, depending upon requirements.. but maybe this is just "firewalls"..?

How secure is the Fedora base encryption password, compared to how secure is the Ubuntu's base encryption password..?
    Do they both run the same system..? Are there any differences?..

How safe is the encryption password, against b-hacks even by the best of the best "lordship-class" hackers..? Or is it for them that "passwords don't even exist"..?

More and more, it's getting so that the Net isn't safe anymore for anything, no matter how well you run it.. is why I'm thinking the best way to go for residential, corporate, government and everyone, is to run external hard drives.. leaving the OS's files always empty.. and the ext hd's always unplugged whenever the net connection is active.. so no one in hellworld can touch, hack, messup valuable data files.. except maybe leave them a choice video in many parts of the OS, of the lengthiest craziest version of full readings of a 180 turn to their favorite books, stuck in a nasty "venomous loop".. with all those books and chapters all jumbled-up into one big mess.. Would be one heck of a book for the badguy to have-to read.. Is how the parasite-invader gets its just deserts for "catburgling" an innocent life.. It's all just about "hacky brain-sick bullies doing their bullying thang", pretending karma doesn't exist.. It might be a "libido-thang".. I don't know.. Maybe if they learned to love with more than just their crotches in-motion, they might see someday, their cruel wacky hacky bullying is hurting the humanity life-base.. And if they somehow all accidentally all-together made humanity crumble from the weight of their thht and evil, they crumble with us.. Is when and how they might see it to start learning how to love before it's too late for love to be of any value or use to humanity and to life....

I like your system dude.. but I like mine more...

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Seems running an empty OS and an ext hd is the only secure way to run on the Net.

I disconnect the connection when I don't surf, turn off the computer when not in use, even use a switch to cut off it from the house current (in case some virus
    can turn it on)...
    My GUFW is set to DENY IN & DENY OUT, only release the tap case by case (HTTP, CUPS, POP...). No samba, SSH, VNC, FTP, Remote Desktop...
    I put my personal data on an external HDD, offline all the time until required.
    Paranoid to the max.
    Last edited by leclerc65; November 30th, 2013 at 05:50 PM.

Beans

Re: Seems running an empty OS and an ext hd is the only secure way to run on the Net.

.."in case some virus can turn it on..."

Can that happen..?

Can you site any instances of it ever happening..? Though, there have been times my external hd mounted on its own, and a couple times the CD tray opened on its own.. I can't find why...

Off the top, just curious, can data be sent through a building's AC wiring..?
    If we gets a definite provable "yes" on that, then you're gonna be twice as paranoid...

Yesterday, Firefox loaded, but without the top email tool-bar header, and the buttons wouldn't function.. There was a moronic dorky little note, with a click box, at the lower right of the browser window, that read "Taking too long? Load basic mail.".. I have a screenshot of it... I'm supposing that was from some lowlife bottomfedder mindless loveless dork's hack-attempt, from his commode-abode throne somewhere in hellworld's cesspool of vile soulless bullies..? I haven't shown it to Mozilla yet... Someone in Linux world might want to run it as a mozilla firefox security-glitch..?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_Valdeen View Post
    Off the top, just curious, can data be sent through a building's AC wiring..?
    If we gets a definite provable "yes" on that, then you're gonna be twice as paranoid...
    Yes, there are powerline network adapters designed to use AC wiring for data.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quoting: "Yes, there are powerline network adapters designed to use AC wiring for data."

Oops!.. sorry to have doubled your paranoia levels dude.. Now yer gonna have-to run off a battery.. LOL!..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_Valdeen View Post
    Quoting: "Yes, there are powerline network adapters designed to use AC wiring for data."

Oops!.. sorry to have doubled your paranoia levels dude.. Now yer gonna have-to run off a battery.. LOL!..
    You still need a special adapter to transmit data via electrical lines and the same type of adapter to receive it.

No need to worry about it.

As far as the firefox problem you had earlier, did it go away after restarting firefox? If so, it's probably just a glitch.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

The problem didn't have a chance to just "go away".. I took the screenshot, saved the bookmarks and few things I needed off the hd, dropped-in the DBAN CD.. let it run full cycle "autonuke".. then reinstalled SCL-6.. and to my surprise, SL's updates came with the complete Media systems all installed and working properly.. Never saw that before... Plus my root title got changed to something sweeter that I didn't key in.. I love RedHat and Linux and Ubuntu.. They truely are the front lines and point of the brotherhood of humanity...

The minute this OS even "hickups" wrongly, off go the few things that need be saved, and in goes the DBAN disk.. "zip, zap, and zop!".. I calls it: "flushing the computer's toilet".. "zzz" for short...

LOL!.. I just got a phone-call from an east indian fellow telling me that my computer needs some help because it has been picking up bad things in my goolge searches, and that all windows computers need this fix.. I tells him, "Yeah, I know about that problem.. I had to reinstall the OS just this morning because of that same crap.. but I don't run windows.. it's Crap!.. I run LInux.." He hung up...
    Last edited by Linda_Valdeen; November 30th, 2013 at 11:26 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

You expert guys read and comment about
    this
    it's beyond the capacity of my old brain.

Beans

..So hey there "old brain".. What topic happens to be your primary peak topic..?

Listen to: "Shamans Dream - Prana Pulse (2012)>youtube" .. then let's chat...
    Last edited by Linda_Valdeen; December 1st, 2013 at 07:52 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Prana.
    But I hate 'chat'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast