Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to use 100% open source software?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Is it possible to use 100% open source software?

You can live without any proprietary codecs, but it will not work as well as if you install the 'restricted-extras'. Some videos or sound-tracks won't play well or won't play at all. Unfortunately the linux versions are not quite on par with the paid versions for Windows and MacOS (for example flashplayer).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by gregory12 View Post
    Ok that's actually the first relevant reply, thank you for that!

Now since everyone has specific programs that need, lets see about the general stuff first.
    For example things like flash, codecs and so on?
    Well, I found this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/38289...ource-software and from the answers I gather that there exist open alternatives for some of what you ask for. Not a libdvdcss, of course. But I think you can do really serious stuff with 100% open source. Write scientific work with LaTeX, if LibreOffice isn't enough. Or run websites with LAMP, to give another example. The list is long, so the question will always be: what do you want to do? And not: can I do anything with OS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    ... I don't eat locusts because they give me gas.
    I bet they don't.

I hear they're actually quite nutritious.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdeca57 View Post
    Not a libdvdcss, of course.
    Actually libdvdcss IS open source. It is used for cracking non open encryption but it itself is 100% open. libdvdcss is not included in many distros not because it is not open, but it may be illegal in certain jurisdictions with strong DRM laws.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There are a couple posts here citing needing Windows for tax prep programs. I too used the Windows based software for many years; however, since going 100% Ubuntu last year, I used an online tax software equivalent with out any issue and found it to be just as good as the product from the box.

Perhaps it's just an issue of how paranoid you are about having your information stored on a company server; but I figure between credit cards, banking, and etc. already being stored on the web there's not much more exposure there than anywhere else.

Of course, the online equivalents are not open source, but who really cares about that anyway??? I have nothing against people making a profit, I just choose to go the cheaper route when given the opportunity.
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; November 30th, 2013 at 04:51 AM.
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Beans

BTW, non free software != Windows software. There are non free Linux software such as flash, Nvidia and AMD drivers, Skype and in general everything in the Partner's repo, Chrome, Opera, Matlab, Mathematica etc ... You can find others in the Ubuntu Software Centre.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; November 30th, 2013 at 04:58 AM.

Beans

Most of my Linux installs have a specific reason to run, and most of those reasons involve proprietary software.

I completely agree with the post about the horsehair shirts, only based on previous discussions with that user I think my views are stronger, or he/she maybe expresses them more mildly than I do.

As far as every-day business, I suppose you could do OK with Open Source, I believe there are usable flash alternatives (I use Adobe) if you want to mess with that.

Personally, I can't imagine why anyone would go through the trouble. I respect RMS for his getting Open Source on the map, but I firmly believe that he would get it MORE on the map if he weren't such an extremist. I use a mix of open and closed software, and I use what works best for my application. I do not drink the same kool-aid that RMS serves, and I don't drink the same kool-aid that Microsoft or Apple serves either.

I get really bent if people try to tell me what I can and can't put on my hardware.

There is plenty of room in the world for Open Source and commercial software to work either independently or together, but IMO neither one really shines until you mix them together.

COEXIST.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Not if I want to use wireless on my laptop because of the braodcom chip will only work with the proprietary driver. I actually find the hplip package for hp printers to work better than the windows drivers. I do have the proprietary codecs but don't like using them that much. I find flash doesn't preform well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Currently, I use Adobe reader and Flash player. I've not yet found an open-source pdf reader that does everything I need, though some are getting close. That said, I only use Adobe reader when I need the features, which isn't often, and the rest of the time I use something else. I have Kingsoft Office installed, which again I use rather infrequently. For about 18 months I used a proprietary dialup modem driver, without which I wouldn't have been able to use Ubuntu at all. There are probably a few other bits and pieces I keep around that I can't remember at the moment.

I'm sure it's possible to use 100% open source software, or 100% any other type of software for that matter. It all comes down to what you're willing to live with and without. And that's a personal decision.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Ubuntu membership via Forums contributions

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by walterorlin View Post
    Not if I want to use wireless on my laptop because of the braodcom chip will only work with the proprietary driver. I actually find the hplip package for hp printers to work better than the windows drivers. I do have the proprietary codecs but don't like using them that much. I find flash doesn't preform well.
    Well it is not impossible, only not elegant. You can get a dongo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast