Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to use 100% open source software?

Beans

Red face Is it possible to use 100% open source software?

Is it possible to have system like that and what things we should say good bye to? some videos, flash, youtube, some drivers? Basically lets make a list of the every day stuff that you won't be able to use if you want 100% open source only system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Is it possible to use 100% open source software?

Greetings,
    For me the answer is no. I have to use a few commercial products and I don't see that as an issue except for the fact that they are not ported to linux or even Wine. I could really use Tax Act and Tom Tom Home to run under Ubuntu or Wine. At that point I can delete my Win 7 partition. I don't mind paying for what I need.
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

Beans

Of course it is possible. The question is whether you want to accept the trade offs. Some people, like RMS, do, most people would find that a bit too austere. So it is always "possible". It is also possible to live without computers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Exactly. Prophets make sacrifices. I appreciate the stands that RMS takes, and can't deny that he practices what he preaches. For the real purists, they can do what he does. I prefer, however, to be able to do what he can't.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I don't wear hair shirts because they make me itch and I don't eat locusts because they give me gas.

RMS crosses the line from prophet to self-righteous crank when he frames his views in the clothing of "ethics", claims a position as the arbiter of ethics and calls others unethical if they do not do as he deems right. For that, I have absolutely no respect for him -- putting it mildly out of respect for the Forum.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    I don't wear hair shirts because they make me itch and I don't eat locusts because they give me gas.
    LOL. +1. Use what suits.

Beans

yeah ok whatever
    leave the philosophical side and just mention the things from the every day general use that you will have to abandon if you want to be 100% open source
    i mentioned few in the OP just to give the idea

Beans

as far as i know we are totally open source. We havent given up anything that i can think of.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans

There are six programs that I use in Windows within Virtual Box on my Linux desktop.

One is the annually revised program that I use to prepare our U.S. income-tax return; so far as I know, there are no such programs written for Linux, and I'm unwilling to use Web-based equivalents. Another is OmniPage, whose capabilities and ease of use far exceed those of any Linux means of accomplishing OCR, again so far as I know. The third is Quicken for tracking investments; in it, I have over a decade of financial histories, and the thought of transferring them into a Linux equivalent is too daunting to attempt.

The remaining Windows programs are three closely related collection-management programs: Book Collector, Movie Collector, and Music Collector. These are highly polished programs that allow barcoded inputs and are integrated with databases on the Web; I find them too convenient to resist continuing to use them, even though I realize that I could accomplish the same ends via Linux software.

For everything else, I prefer Linux.

Beans

Ok that's actually the first relevant reply, thank you for that!

Now since everyone has specific programs that need, lets see about the general stuff first.
    For example things like flash, codecs and so on?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast