Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Locallly installed ubuntu desktop consuming too much memory - II

Beans

Re: Locallly installed ubuntu desktop consuming too much memory - II

The cron jobs where really running every 1 minute which i now changed to 5 mins...

also, there were around 10 - 12 or them and i now i changed back to like 5 or 6. so may be this is help... I would like to like explain what i was doing with cron job... just so if anyone wants to offer some help on that part too.

so, the Server is mostly used for CMS softwares i.e. Joomla, Wordpress... Now, the two reasons i run the cron jobs is to.

1. Make all the files chmod 664 and folder 775 (assuming that those are the permission a php script need to make things writable.
    2. Once a file is uploaded via a php script the owner of the file is root:root... so i run the script to change the owner to user:www-data (this will make it writable for the particular FTP user and the PHP scripts will also be able to edit these).

Any idea how this could be automated without a cron job. I know cpanel has this kind of setting by default.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

If whatever is saving the files is running as root:root (do you really consider that safe?), can't that set ownership/permissions when each directory is created or file is saved, instead of constantly searching for them from cron?

I used to use Perl CGI scripts running as me with SUID C wrapper when I needed to be able to write to files from a webserver and only give the webserver or anyone else read permission (others). But I never got into php much, so cannot help with that.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz, 8 GB, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans

Alright... i will find something.

Thanks Anyways!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12