Thread: Black screen w/ cursor after boot

Black screen w/ cursor after boot

After doing some schoolwork I left my computer with ubuntu 13.10 running over night. Next morning; I come back to see it glitching a bit (Software center app dissapeared, terminal is black/white instead of the softer purple/white) so, like any normal person, I decide to restart it.
    After restarting it, everything's working fine. I get to the login screen, log in, etc. But after the login, instead of my desktop w/ the folder/apps I just get my wallpaper with nothing on it. The menu isn't there, and neither are the files.
    So I decide to browse for a solution on the mighty internet. After opening up tty1 and reinstalling nvidia, unity, bunch of other stuff I find that after I log in instead of my wallpaper it's now a black screen.
    I persist and keep install/deleting/reinstalling anything that the forums tell me to and it does. Not. Work.
    Eventually, (I know my way around Ubuntu) I just type in 'sudo apt-get install nvidia-current' and execute it 'till the end.
    I restart, only to find that after the bootup, instead of the login screen I get that same black screen with a cursor. Even if I press Ctrl+Alt+F1, my monitor stops receiving input. So after about 2 hours, it finally broke me and so I turn to the forums.
    Any hints/advice/solutions? System specs will be dispensed at request. Any help is greatly appreciated
    Last edited by sandyd; December 2nd, 2013 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Normalize font

Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Black screen w/ cursor after boot

Re: Black screen w/ cursor after boot

Ok, so I tried doing what you asked with nomodeset and it worked, so thanks a lot!
    But sadly, it's back to the problem where after I login, all I get is a black screen with my cursor but now the cursor is a black cross.
    Any suggestions on what I should do?