Thread: Unable to install from USB on an Acer v5-123

Beans

Unable to install from USB on an Acer v5-123

When I try to boot Ubuntu 13.10 from a USB on this particular computer I get the welcome screen and then nothing else. This computer has an AMD E-1 APU with an ATI 8210 graphics chip set on board. and I believe that to be the problem. Is it? How do I fix it?

Beans

Re: Unable to install from USB on an Acer v5-123

The graphics chipset is certainly a problem. See https://gist.github.com/PaulHuygen/7581141 how I solved that problem and installed xubuntu on my V5-123. Hope it helps for you.

Paul

Beans

Thanks Paul. I will try your procedure.

Beans

Paul, this is too complex for me. Do you know of a distro that would support my ATI card out of the gate?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sbcwinn View Post
    Paul, this is too complex for me. Do you know of a distro that would support my ATI card out of the gate?
    sbcwinn,

The post Paul linked you to is spot on. You said it may be too complex for you (welcome to Linux) but I'm sure you can do it. Take your time. Go step by step. If you get stuck on a particular step then respond to this thread and we'll get you moving along.

Beans

I second the advice of Phoyce2. It seems that even the supplier of the graphics card supports it only in the beta-version of the driver. I think the best way is to try the installatin recipy and report problems here, so that you can get help. An alternative way would be to "hang" your notebook until the driver has made it to the mainstream, but that seems wasteful to me.

Paul