Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: microsd card files written under ubuntu aren't showed in windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

microsd card files written under ubuntu aren't showed in windows

Hi
    My issue is i copy/move files from ubuntu to my microsd card. It seems fine because once done the operation i can play a mp3 file written in the card. But after ejecting the card, if i try to read it under windows, i only see folder that were created but no mp3 files. It's really strange. It's the filesystem in the card? is it ubuntu or windows the origin of the problem?
    Thanks in advanced for your time and interest.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: microsd card files written under ubuntu aren't showed in windows

What are the partitions on the card formatted as? If they are EXT* Windows won't see them.

You need NTFS or FAT if you want to share.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

exFAT is the system file. Windows can see the card and shows some files. But no all of them. That's what bothers me. At my house i will try read the others files under ubuntu. If ubuntu can, then it's a windows issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I moved some files using ubuntu to the sd card. I even unplugged it and plugged it again to see if the files were transferred. Nemo showed them. I play one song from the sd card. So, i ejected the card. Now, under windows at my work, i only can see some files. Others are not displayed. The size available of the card indicates the capacity was reduced effectively. Is there an incompatibility between ubuntu and windows when you use a sd card? I will try using the NTFS format with the card at my house and at my work. It's really annoying the issue.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ah, ha! I now remember having a problem with this on my wife's computer some time ago. It came down to how the files were named. There is a naming syntax that Ubuntu is fine with but Windows isn't. Obscure and took ages to figure out. Could you post the name of a file that you can see in Win and one you can't, please? You may be able to pick the anomaly yourself.

There's a clue. I don't think it's got anything to do with the filesystem you're using on the SD card. If Win can see some files it has no problem with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

But songs named "04 - Lucky.mp3" is the typical case. There is no strange character in the file names. But it seems that you point is right. Other way the card would be completely unreadable. What do you recommend me? Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hi,

In windows, can you open the SDCard location in command prompt and see if it can see those files? Even i dont think, it is anything to do with the file format.

Regards,
    Ksprasad

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jfca283 View Post
    "04 - Lucky.mp3"
    Tried taking the spaces out?

04-Lucky.mp3

You can see absolutely no differences in the file names of the ones that are visible and the ones that aren't?

Have you converted these files from one format to another using Ubuntu? And if so, what software did you use to do it? Also had a situation where had to batch process a bunch of files because Win didn't like some aspect of a conversion to MP3.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

There are files named "04 - xxx.mp3" which are recognised and others not. Even some movies. The files were downloaded them from a torrent website. I'm really confused.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jfca283 View Post
    The files were downloaded them from a torrent website.
    Anyone's guess then. Good luck. Be aware that we do NOT support illegal activity on this forum so do NOT provide links to these torrents if they were not downloaded legally (which I'm suspecting they weren't, correct me if I'm wrong). Thanks.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; November 22nd, 2013 at 02:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast