Thread: Is VirtualBox Enough for Testing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Is VirtualBox Enough for Testing?

Ok everyone, here's the situation: I periodically download ISO images to test and review for my blog. In some of my reviews, I use a test laptop and some of my testing I do through VirtualBox. When I test on both, I feel like the VirtualBox install gave me a good indication, overall, of what the distro does. Now that my testing laptop has keeled over, I'm left with only VirtualBox. Is this good enough for testing?

And for using daily, is it ok to just do so through VirtualBox instead of installing on a HDD? I like the idea of using Ubuntu every day, but is it "acceptable" to do so through VirtualBox? As a side note, I have a MacBook Pro for daily use.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Is VirtualBox Enough for Testing?

If what your testing is hardware compatibility (for example, a Broadcom wireless adapter), VirtualBox working is not a good indicator that a full installation would work in the same way.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you're testing software functionality it's good/ok. But if you want to know how it performs overall on actual hardware, a direct install would be better. Personally if I need to test a few things out I use VBox as I do software side of things. Otherwise I just run live cd for hardware examination.
    Lenovo 330 - Win 10 64-bit - Ryzen 5 2500U 8GB 120GB SSD
    Dell XP 8700 - Windows 10 64-bit - i7 4790 8GB 1GB 250GB SSD 1TB HDD
    HP x360 - Elementary OS Juno - Pentium 4x1.10 4GB 500GB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

In leu of a VM or VB environment, you could go for a Live boot from DVD/CD/USB for actual hardware testing. My be a little slower, but you will have use of all the pc resources that a virtual environment may limit, or restrict. It shoud give you a more realistic test.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by electrohandyman501 View Post
    In leu of a VM or VB environment, you could go for a Live boot from DVD/CD/USB for actual hardware testing. My be a little slower, but you will have use of all the pc resources that a virtual environment may limit, or restrict. It shoud give you a more realistic test.
    Only problem with that, is the OP has a mac and not a regular pc. For testing, a regular pc would be best.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by help_me2 View Post
    Only problem with that, is the OP has a mac and not a regular pc. For testing, a regular pc would be best.
    Yep, that would be an issue. I read that but it just didn't click.

Beans

Not sure what your readers expect from a review, but I don't see much point in reading a review by someone who just downloaded an iso and booted it in a VM. I could probably just do that in the same time it takes to read the review.

If you want to give the reader something worthwhile, install it and run it for a few days or a few weeks. IMHO too many distro reviews end up focusing on things like the installer, default applications, and default look; none of which matters 30 minutes after you install the thing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Not sure what your readers expect from a review, but I don't see much point in reading a review by someone who just downloaded an iso and booted it in a VM. I could probably just do that in the same time it takes to read the review.

If you want to give the reader something worthwhile, install it and run it for a few days or a few weeks. IMHO too many distro reviews end up focusing on things like the installer, default applications, and default look; none of which matters 30 minutes after you install the thing.
    +1

Could never have been said better!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved to Virtualisation forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sorry I put it in the wrong forum. I was afraid I might do that. You guys all made a lot of sense. Thanks for your help! I got my testing laptop back up and running and installed a fresh 12.04 install on it so I can use that as my base. Thanks all!