Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mail Server

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Mail Server

I have been having a heck of a time trying to get a fully functional mail server up. I have dovecot setup(everything except for the folders) but postfix is being a pain in the butt. First I can't seem to get it to use dovecot for auth or mail delivery. Second the file it uses to store mail is flooded with output from cron jobs. Is there any user friendly command line interface like aptitude for apt to configure postfix and dovecot? If not, any tutorials, links, and suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry if my spelling is off I am on my tablet ATM.

Sincerely,
    Patrick Thomas (Timberwolf)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Mail Server

I think it would be better to have a working system and then study how it works.
    Here's the mail solution we use. Installation is very easy.
    http://www.iredmail.org/install_iredmail_on_ubuntu.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
    I think it would be better to have a working system and then study how it works.Here's the mail solution we use. Installation is very easy.http://www.iredmail.org/install_iredmail_on_ubuntu.html
    From the first couple of sections that is not a viable solution due not being able to spare more than 100MB of RAM and I cannot remove MySQL because it is used in the website and external apps. Also I have 3 domains pointing to the server so I can't set the FQDN. Only one domain will be using the mail server and I will be the only one using it so it only needs one user. I want to set up a single-user IMAP server with a catchall address. So is there any way I can set it up without hassle or removing packages (not counting dovecot and postfix)?

Sincerely,

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you read the notes, it assumes that you must install it on a freshly installed ubuntu server. And since you just need it for a single domain, single catchall account, you can just spin up a virtual machine with 512MB of ram. You can even remove the clamAV and spamassasin to reduce ram usage.
    But if you are out of hard ware, I can't help you.
    And since you want to have a mail server on an existing production machine, you really need to do the hard work of manual configuration.
    Any particular problems you are having in dovecot? Do you have any related logs? And can you post your postfix configuration?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

For the most part dovecot is configured, I just need to fix the IMAP folders of which I don't know how to do yet. Postfix OTOH is a complete wreck. It uses system users rather than dovecot, it uses /var/mail/user to deliver mail rather than dovecot, and the file is flooded with cron output. I have the catchall setup temporaraly as a system user of mailbox so it redirects everything to /var/mail/mailbox.

Sincerely,

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Bump... attaching postfix configs
    postfixcf[3].zip

Sincerely,

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

bump

Sincerely,

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Given Up...

Where is a service I can host a mail server with the following:
    Single Catchall Inbox with Multi-Login
    IMAP
    SSL
    External Access
    Use a pre-existing domain

The budget is $20. It would be nice if it had a web interface and that I could point a subdomain at it, but it is not a necessity.

Sincerely,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi
    Just a thought. My Brother and I recently discussed setting up a mail server.
    I played about with the stuff ing the Ubuntu guide. My brother (having no linux experience) set Citadel up in about half an hour. Might be worth a look as an alternative.
    http://www.citadel.org/
    Always do things the hard way. After a while you learn how to make the hard way the easy way.

My blog: http://foreverythingit.co.uk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

iredmail is about the most easiest mail server you use I am using it and I didnt any problems setting it up.
    Tim's Computer Repair
    trpcrepair.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast