Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 installing openssh from source

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 installing openssh from source

Hi,

I have a trouble on installing the latest version of openssh on ubuntu 12.04. I downloaded the latest version openssh-6.4 since that ubuntu 12.04 provides an old version 5.9.
    I installed succesfully with classic command ./configure make make install. Now if I type ssh -V from command line, the system recognizes the correct version. But if I try to use some applications that use ssh they still call the old version. I tried to remove the packages of openssh-client and openssh-server, but in this case also other applications are affected as freenx.
    So what should I do to use the latest version of openssh from all applications?
    Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 installing openssh from source

You'll have to remove or replace the old packages. If you can't remove them you can replace them

One option would be to compile the new OpenSSH as a package and then install that homemade package. That would solve the dependency problems.

Beans

Ok, can you tell me how to do or a link where it is explained how to make a package from source.
    Thank

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Here is the short HowTo:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/De...uilding-HOWTO/

It's not that many steps, though there are details to follow. Debian and Ubuntu use the same packaging system even if they use different repositories and binaries.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Here's another one, but it works with the deb-src package in the repository. In the middle, you'll want to substitute your new source code for the old source code and then update the control file etc.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/rebuild...inary-package/

I'm not finding a good, simple list of how to do what you are trying to do. I used to have notes, but they are too old.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes that looks ok, if you are not going to build a full package. Step 4 is the important one, with checkinstall, in that it gets the package listed in the package manager.

Beans

Hi,

I tried with success it is no difficult, but I have not solved the original problem. In fact I'm able to install the code by source or by new package, but if I remove openssh-server and openssh-client it does not work. Otherwise if I maintain them I still have the old version. How could I do?

Beans

We're assuming here that your use of 12.04 is for a considered reason.

Is that a valid assumption? Some users make extra work for themselves by using LTS releases for purposes they are not intended for (like latest software). Users who want the latest versions of software may find it easier to use 13.10, which does include openssh 6.4 in the Ubuntu repositories.

The next LTS 14.04, will also include openssh 6.4...and will include it for five years.

Beans

Yes, your are right. I need a stable LTS version because I have server. I need to install at least the version 6.3 of openssh because it implements new features and because I would try a patch of a project that enhance the performance for networks with high BDP.
    Do you have any suggestion about how I can do?
    Thank

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast