Thread: Easycap video capture

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Easycap video capture

It appears a driver has been developed for my Easycap video capture device that uses the UTV007 single chip. This driver must be quite new as I didn't find it several months ago when looking. This linux tv wiki page covers a lot of the Easycaps, and includes a section on the Easycap using the UTV007 single chip:

USBTV007 EasyCAP

This EasyCAP is based on a single UTV007 labeled chip.
    This device is sold as "USB video capture QS702" from SHENZHEN FUSHICAI ELECTRONIC CO.,LTD
    lsusb reports

• Manufacturer: Fushicai
    • Product: usbtv007

Components Used

• Single chip: UTV007 A614231.1 1136L1BK
    • Inscriptions on the board: FSC VIDEO DVR

Indentification

# lsusb
    Bus XXX Device XXX: ID 1b71:3002
    Full lsusb -v
    Making it work

Linux kernel driver, enable CONFIG_VIDEO_USBTV: https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/ke...edia/usb/usbtv

• From 3.11 ("Linux for Workgroups") on: Supports NTSC, Composite input
    • Queued for 3.12: S-Video input
    • In works: Controls (brightness, ...)

Also, a very experimental (for testing purposes only) userspace driver is available on github: http://github.com/memeruiz/usbtv007

• Currently doesn't do anything beyond what kernel driver does
    • Written using Python libusb1 and v4l bindings
    • Requires v4l loopback
    • Could be useful for easy protocol testing, prototyping

.....tail of post removed by me
    It includes the link:
    https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/ke...edia/usb/usbtv

But I have no real idea what to do with what's in that. I know to compile the C source for the driver - what I don't know is what the things mean in the other 2 files. In particular, I would have thought there would be a make file, perhaps a config file, and a list of dependencies.

If someone could walk me through enough of that it would be GREATLY appreciated! I no longer have a XP installation dual booting with Ubuntu - I just went all Ubuntu after what I thought was the conclusion of a project scanning in my old VHS tapes. Turns out there is a problem with the output and I need to re-scan them, but trying to avoid reinstalling a small XP installation.

I would also imagine that after that driver is built and loaded, I'm still going to need something to actually scan the moives in with Ubuntu. I guess 1 bridge at a time.

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Easycap video capture

Don't know about all the Easycap's, but I did find out my Dazzle DC100 will work in Linux Mint 15 - going to try it there and get back the movies I need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Easycap video capture

No replies for Ubuntu, so giving up trying to find something that will work in it. Going to try Mint as the linked thread shows - don't know how well that will go.

For me, at least, this is closed. But I'm not allowed to mark it "Solved" because I don't have a solution. Therefore the thread remains open and will someday be removed as a dead thread.