Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed with Unity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Disappointed with Unity

This is a sad rant ... I do not believe that any complaining to 'the powers that be' (Canonical) will change anything ... just need to get this off my chest, because I am really 'sadly peed-off' ... like when an old, dear friend starts misbehaving fundamentally and you have to separate ways.

I have been using Ubuntu since Breezy and went 'Ubuntu only' somewhere around 'Heron' I think ... I have been a vocal punter for Ubuntu whenever friends were complaining about their woes with MSWindows. I converted, after years of struggling to support his Windows machine, my 79-year-old (at the time) father's machine to 12.04 (with classic desktop) and never looked back.

BUT ... I have tried to understand and embrace the UI-changes that came with Unity ... I gave it every chance ... it sucks ... then I tried Cinnamon (on 12.04) and was happy until it bombed - presumably it 'ran ahead' of 12.04 in its updates ... or whatever ... then I recently tried upgrading to 13.10 on one of my machines to see whether I am just being 'contrary' and do not want to embrace change ... alas ...

There seems to be a tendency (Google with gmail also suffers form it) that one HAS to change things visibly and obviously, in order to show 'that you have done somehting' ... and then you get nonsense like what has been done to the File Manager in 13.10 ...

Apart from other 'buggy' frustrations (many still unresolved) with 13.10, the way the File Manager has been changed - offering more 'let-me-help-you-crap' that actually gets totally in your way - is what actually made me realise that I have to move on ... Canonical is certainly NOT aiming to please my kinda user anymore ... and I have to accept it. And, by the way, I am not a power-user ... my colleagues used to mock me about 'going to the dark place' whenever I had to open a terminal window ...

So I have just taken that machine back to 12.04 ... am running the updates on it now ... and then I will start looking for a distro that (1) is NOT Ubuntu-based (2) aims at serving the desktop/laptop user ... so the new challenge for me is to find a well-supported distro that caters for me!

ciao ... it has been good ... but it got toxic of late ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: A sad day for old Ubuntu user

Well, the stuff you're ranting about is not Ubuntu's or Canonical's fault. Ubuntu bases it's Unity interface on two things - Compiz (GUI, window manager) and GNOME (underlying functionality, software) with an emphasis on touch interfaces (kind of a hybrid), both Compiz and GNOME are third-party software. Same is with Cinnamon, it's just GNOME Shell modified to suit Mint's needs, not revolving around touch though. Ubuntu's file manager? GNOME's Nautilus. Cinnamon's file manager? Fork of GNOME's Nautilus.

You do know that Nautilus and Nemo are not the only two file managers, right (Thunar, Dolphin, PCManFM, Konqueror, etc)? And you do know that GNOME, Unity and Cinnamon are just 3 DEs in literally dozens of different desktop environments available for Linux (KDE, LXDE, XFCE, MATE, Enlightenment 17, Razor-qt, Equinox, FVWM, Openbox, an endless list of WMs, etc)? Finally, you do know that each and every one of those can be customized?

The first thing I learned about Linux is that you're not forced to use something, you use what you make yourself and not what comes out-of-the-box. Your rant is basically revolving around you not wanting to customize something to your own liking, instead wanting it to be the way you want it out-of-the-box, along with checking out only 3 DEs then complaining how they don't suit you. So what, there's dozens of the buggers, find one you can customize to suit you and stick with it.

By the way, don't expect to be spoon-fed or catered like you are on Windows, when you want something you need to roll up your sleeves and do it yourself or you won't have it your way. Simple as that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Install xfce4 as your desktop environment or just install Xubuntu. That is not changing anytime soon and doesn't have any of the things you are talking about.

I personally do a minimal install and create the experience I want: xfce4 for the desktop environment and only the apps I use/want/need. I think what you are missing is that you are not 'trapped' into using the 'off the shelf' Ubuntu (you seem to be talking like this is the case). You are under absolutely no obligation to use the things you don't like just because you are using Ubuntu kernel or a derivative of Ubuntu. I haven't used 'Ubuntu' in ages, only Xubuntu and now just xfce4 on the Ubuntu kernel.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The older Gnome 2 interface used by Ubuntu was based on the GTK2 libraries. When the Gnome team ceased development and maintenance of Gnome 2 and moved on to the entirely different Gnome 3 interface based on GTK3, Canonical had to choose between commiting to the then very new and very unproven Gnome 3 interface or to move out on its own. Hence, Unity.

Application developers also needed to cope with the transition from GTK2 to GTK3. GTK2 does not supply the libraries that are dependencies for GTK3 apps, or vice -versa. Even MATE, the fork of Gnome 2, has to accomodate itself to GTK3.

If you like using Cinnamon, you ought to try it on its native distribution, Linux Mint. Cinnamon is currently at version 2.0. It's used in the forthcoming Linux Mint 16 release, which is due out by the end of this month. Mint also does a MATE release, which is quite nice, and which, as I mentioned, uses what is essentially a tweaked recompilation of the old Gnome 2 code base. (Mint adds its own "MintMenu" to MATE, but it's easily removed and the traditional Gnome 2 cascading menu added if that's what you want (by removing the MintMenu from the panel and adding the other via "Add To Panel").

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

And as far as not liking Unity...well, it's really just a dock, that is all...true it is on the left instead of the bottom but it works exactly the same...so what it sounds like to me is that you just do not like a dock...i would imagine you probably do not care for the mac interface either which this is really similar to, with a dock, top panel and similar type of search function...so for you the answer is to turn to one of the ubuntu alternates and see which one most appeals to you...

Personally, i love the Unity Interface as i did use macs for a while before discovering linux and was thrilled to see Ubuntu introduce it but as they say "different strokes for different folks"

Beans

I agree with a lot of your complaints. But, as others have said, Linux is modular. You can ditch unity/nautilus without ditching 'buntu.

I suspect you might really like xubuntu which has the xfce desktop as an alternative to unity. xfce has been wonderful since 4.8. It's not quite as flashy but it has the added bonus of lowering overhead in terms of computing resources making it faster/snappier. Under the hood, everything's the same with xubuntu so you'll be super familiar in a way that you won't be with other distros. Thunar is the filemanager and it should have the features you want back from nautilus.

You can fire up a live cd/usb and take it for a test drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

No need to preach to me about 'helping yourself' and 'not being spoonfed like a Windos user' Werne ... I have worked at a open-source shop for years ... I have met and respect Richard Stallman ... I love open-source and understand and subscribe to its philosophy.

I also know that I can tweak the hell out of Ubuntu if I want to spend the time on it ... I do not want to ... I want to use a distro as vanilla as possible ... I believe that one is less likely to run into problems if you do that. I have simply come to a pragmatic decision that Ubuntu is moving in a direction where I do not want to follow ... I am not a techie ... I am a user ... for me the UI is very important ... good UI is NOT flashy UI ... good UI is NOT cute UI ... I have been experiencing UI changes in Ubuntu that detracts from efficiency ... it is in fact, for me, becoming similar to Windows in that 'it wants to help me' too much ... and in the process it gets in the way ... I hate that. It ends up NOT helping the user ...

Anyway ... just wanted to explain that I am not just ranting with a 'I want I want' attitude ... I am quite content to help in a community ... I have helped with some documentation work on open-source projects and so forth ... this is just a realisation that I have to move to some other distro ... and I am sad and wanted to mention it ... that's all ... thnx for those that are trying to give me advice!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by gustav.franzsen View Post
    I want to use a distro as vanilla as possible ... I believe that one is less likely to run into problems if you do that.
    In my experience, it's all the same as long as you use packages from the official repositories and update regularly. Being vanilla or customized is the same thing, if there will be breakage on upgrade, it'll happen regardless.

I count myself as a user as well and I like out-of-the-box functionality. But the fact is that every distro is made according to it's author's wishes, not yours or mine, so what I said before still stays the same - if you want something your way, make it yourself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Unity doesn't need any customization and runs fine right out of the box...but if the problem is you don't like to use docks, then of course, ubuntu main edition is not for you...
    All i do is set it to autohide, adjust the autohide sensitivity a bit to more my liking and i shrink the size of the icons (pixel size) to 38 pixels for my 17" laptop screen and that's it....takes like 2 minutes and i am good to go...all those are easily done in system settings...

It's not hard to use...in fact....very simple...you put your favorite and most used apps on the unity dock and have 1 click access...for apps rarely used, you bring them up in a few seconds using the dash search...
    How that is any more complicated then using a fan out apps menu or say, a slab style menu like windows has, is beyond me...I guess some people just resist anything that is a bit different then what the have been accustomed to doing for years on end...
    Last edited by craig10x; November 21st, 2013 at 08:17 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I suggest that you try Xubuntu with LTS until April 2015.. Do not only install xubuntu-desktop on top of standard Ubuntu. Install it from the Xubuntu 12.04 LTS iso file The experience will be quite different from Unity, I think at least as nice as any other distro. And a year from now, it will be time to upgrade to Xubuntu 14.04 LTS ...

There are a few other nice alternatives too, based on Ubuntu's 12.04 LTS engine. All of these promise 5 years LTS until April 2017:

- LXLE
    - Precise Gnome Classic Tweaks
    - Bodhi Linux

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast