Thread: 13.10 constant system freezing

Beans

Unhappy 13.10 constant system freezing

Hello. I recently purchased and built a new computer to serve as a Steam/gaming platform. I am semi-new to Ubuntu and Linux in general.

I am having a real bad problem with system freezing. Whenever I play a game, use my webcam, or listen to music I invariably get a total lock up that I can't fix without a hard boot. REISUB doesn't work, nor does CTL+Alt+F1-6. The freezing is not immediate, it crops up after about 45-2 hours of game play, or after hours of webcam use or listening to music on Clementine.

At first I assumed it was a hardware issue, so I installed psensor and left it up while gaming to check CPU and GPU temperature when the system freezes. The CPU was at 40c and the GPU 65c. I then assumed bad memory and booted to grub and ran memtest86, but this found no error. I left up gnome-system-monitor and checked the memory usage at freeze, and found I never used more than 20% of my memory.

At that point I thought it was a driver issue, so I downgraded my nvidia drivers from nvidia-331 to nvidia-319. This seemed to have worked for a few hours, and then it went right back to freezing every 45 minutes or so when gaming. This happens across all games I own, from ones running in Wine and Playonlinux to native games purchased from Steam.

From there I assumed it might be strange things like my SSD acting up (I have since followed the optimization guide here: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd) or the lack of swap space (I figured with 16 gigs of ram I hardly needed swap. Created a swap file, but that didn't help.)

When not doing the activities above, the system is perfectly stable to the point I can leave it running for days without issue.

Being so new to Linux/Ubuntu, I am sure there are things I didn't think to check or know to look for. Can I please get some advice?

Current System stats:
    DE: Gnome Flashback (with Compiz effects)
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-9590 Eight-Core Processor 4.7 Ghz
    Memory: 16 Gigs (x2 8 Gb PC3 12800)
    Storage: 60 GB SSD (/) and 500 GB HHD (/home)
    Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB (driver nvidia-319) using Twinview

Beans

Re: 13.10 constant system freezing

Interesting...

I crashed again after writing this post. On boot, the system would freeze up on login. Uninstalling/reinstalling the nvidia driver didnt help, uninstalling gnome/reinstalling didn't help, nor did trying a new desktop enivroment (tried Unity.)

However, after I uninstalled xorg and reinstalled, I was able to log in. I am still super unstable, but I am wondering if there might something wonky with xorg?

Edit: Sympthoms also seem to indicate hardware failure of the graphics card. I ran several stress test, which all seem to be passing much to my surprise. Whatever is causing the freezing doesn't seem to be due to the card malfunctioning.
    Last edited by drewbacca; November 21st, 2013 at 02:42 AM.

Beans

Re: 13.10 constant system freezing

I thing, your problem is similar to mine. Nobody has solution:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1251042

Open source drivers are unstable for me too (this bug):
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...u/+bug/1241595

It has been reported 1 mounth, but still no assigned :'(