Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Updates breaking my system

Beans

Angry Updates breaking my system

For the third time in four months, an update has hosed my machine. And this is 12.04 LTS. Is the S for Support or Suffering? Do you test ANYTHING before you release? I know its free, but you should take some pride in your work. It seems to me that the quality of Ubuntu has degraded continuously since the commitment was made to use Unity, which is a worthless on a desktop and I will never use it. It looks like the switch to Debian is imminent.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I'm sick of updates breaking my system

Linux Mint Mate works pretty well. Mint rates updates with a 1 to 5 scale--don't update level 4 or 5 without making time for fixing breakage. In general, updates to the kernel or xorg will cause breakage, so don't apply them until you have done a backup and you make time to fix the breakage.

This doesn't look like a support request, so perhaps you can add a support question to your post.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Not a support request.

Urm, with all due respect, you are barking up the wrong tree. We are volunteers on this, a Ubuntu support forum. If you want to whinge about the direction Ubuntu has taken, or is taking, then Canonical would be your best bet. Ubuntu is not 'made' here. In fact, far from it. Your complaints are probably least likely to get heard by anyone you want to hear them here.

It would help if you actually mentioned what is getting hosed. I, along with a multitude of others, haven't had these issues with 12.04 LTS. Could be something specific about your hardware/software configuration. Anything.

You are obviously frustrated about this but drawing a long bow and, if I may say, your arrows are misdirected.

Beans

It would be more helpful if you can tell us exactly which update and how it broke your machine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    It would be more helpful if you can tell us exactly which update and how it broke your machine.
    +1. Please post that one in a support section.

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    This doesn't look like a support request, so perhaps you can add a support question to your post.
    Don't do that. See above.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; November 20th, 2013 at 07:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    In general, updates to the kernel or xorg will cause breakage, so don't apply them until you have done a backup and you make time to fix the breakage.
    Don't you mean can possibly cause breakage?
    Will makes it seem as if it does with absolute certainty, which isn't so.

But, yeah, one should make backups what they want regardless of updates anyway.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by feeno49 View Post
    It looks like the switch to Debian is imminent.
    Freedom is the essence of Linux... But since your experience doesn't match what many others encounter daily perhaps it's also worthwhile to look ad your own hardware. Just to be sure.

Beans

Again, someone posts with the assumption that his/her problems are universal, and is thus prepared to believe that people who write software are completely mental, incompetent, or stupid rather than assume that the problem is specific to his/her hardware or configuration.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    You should switch your update manager to download securtiy updates only. Absolutely any OS can be hosed. If the LTS is working properly then leave it alone. Linux has always had a reputation for being technical but that doesn't mean you have to participate. By the way, there is some substance in the posts that reference hardware. I personally think Linux in general does a pretty good job keeping compatibility over a large range of hardware that wasn't originally shipped with Linux. However that compatibility isn't absolutely tied to Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

To be frank, I've never had an update break a Linux installation, on Ubuntu or any other distribution. I just spent several weeks using pre-betas of the unreleased Fedora 20. Even the frequent and voluminous updates there didn't break the install.

An inverse relationship exists between the chances for a successful update and how much a user has modified a system beyond its baseline configuration. Software doesn't do magic. Update software has to assume a certain level of consistency in the systems it is updating. If the user has changed things, the update software will proceed in complete ignorance of those changes.

In Ubuntu, this specifically applies to software installed via PPA's. Before doing an update, remove the PPA's from your sources list and remove the software you installed fronm there.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast