Thread: Internal LiteOn BluRay DVD not working 12.04 Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Internal LiteOn BluRay DVD not working 12.04 Ubuntu

Hey There, I've got an internal Bluray DVD/CD player by LiteOn model iHES208 and it won't play either CDs or DVDs. When I open K3B, I see the drive recognized in the left-hand pane as 'iHES208' but it always says 'No Medium Present' no matter what kind of disc I have inserted. I can eject the player and load the disc with K3bs menu but the 'mount' field is greyed out...I get the feeling that this brand of player maybe isn't supported with the kernel...I've done my best to scour the net for solutions so here I am for advice. I do appreciate your suggestions! Finding a solution for everybody in this situation is goal... Washburn N4 Davies '92, '99 Honda Civic, Porcupine Tree, Big Wreck, Jellyfish, King's X :0)

Beans

Re: Internal LiteOn BluRay DVD not working 12.04 Ubuntu

First, K3b is for a Blu-Ray/DVD/CD burner, not a player. Players can't burn anything, only read them. <Edit> This device would only be capable of reading Blu-Ray disks, not writing them, although it should be capable of burning/writing to DVDs or CDs. See http://us.liteonit.com/us/bd-interna...ternal/ihes208

Are you certain that the disk is blank and writable? </Edit>

Second, if 12.04 doesn't work, try the latest version of Ubuntu (either 13.04 or Saucy Salamander) before complaining that Blu-Ray isn't supported in the kernel. 12.04 is 17 months old and few Blu-Ray devices were available in April of 2012. If you want an LTS version, wait for April of 2014.
    Last edited by carlwsnyder; September 9th, 2013 at 12:27 AM.

Beans

Re: Internal LiteOn BluRay DVD not working 12.04 Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by carlwsnyder View Post
    Second, if 12.04 doesn't work, try the latest version of Ubuntu (either 13.04 or Saucy Salamander) before complaining that Blu-Ray isn't supported in the kernel. 12.04 is 17 months old and few Blu-Ray devices were available in April of 2012. If you want an LTS version, wait for April of 2014.
    Hi I'm using Kubuntu 13.10 and it still does not support my blu ray drive.
    I have a [DH-4O3S-04-B Sata Blu-ray Lite-On].

Do you know anything else about when / if blue ray support will be added? Is there anything I can do to fix this now?

Thanks.