Thread: A Debian based Gnome 3 environment Distro : Please suggest

Beans

A Debian based Gnome 3 environment Distro : Please suggest

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a Debian based distro with Gnome 3 as default environment. I for last few years I have been using Ubuntu, and also tried gnome 3 over it, but I never get complete package for same. Whenever I patch Ubuntu with Gnome 3 something or others break for sure. In Ubuntu 13.04, when I tried Gnome 3 my Ubuntu software center stops to open. So I do not want to deal with this problems again, that's why I am looking for a out of box Debian based Gnome 3 OS. Please suggest, if anyone out there know any specific Distro.

I also want to admit I have tried other variants of Ubuntu and other Distros, but for last 4 years I didnt get anything better than Ubuntu. But recent changes with Unity I am planning make a change and try something new based on concepts I know.

Thanks in Advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: A Debian based Gnome 3 environment Distro : Please suggest

Ubuntu IS gnome3.
    gnome3 is a set of packages.
    What you want is an interface.
    Did you look at Ubuntu Gnome?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by akkb100 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am looking for a Debian based distro with Gnome 3 as default environment. I for last few years I have been using Ubuntu, and also tried gnome 3 over it, but I never get complete package for same.
    That may be because Debian doesn't provide the complete packages. I have tried using gnome shell on Debian since Feburary or March until a few months ago. Basically, they only had imcomplete packages for gnome 3.8 in experimental and all other releases had 3.4 (they skipped 3.6 all together after releasing some packages earlier in the year and then 3.8 came out) I installed 3.8 in SID but for months something or othe are missing and I always ran into dependency problems. It seems that Ubuntu is playing safe by going a version or two behind (apart from having to patch gnome shell to work with other stuffs). If you use the ppa you get up the to date version but probably the same broken dependencies and incomplete packages as in Debian.

So if you want the most polished and up to date gnome shell experience I would definitely recommend Fedora over any Debian based distro (I dual boot Fedora with Ubuntu). For Ubuntu I would use Unity.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; November 18th, 2013 at 09:30 AM.

Beans

Yes I have tried Ubuntu Gnome, but its has limitation as you cant dual boot with it.
    Anyway thank you for your reply.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes I have tried Ubuntu Gnome, but its has limitation as you cant dual boot with it.
    I do not think that is correct! The DE in use has absolutely nothing to do with dual booting, so I suggest you look more deeply into this.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a Debian based distro with Gnome 3 as default environment.
    I guess that would be Debian

Debian 7 (default DE is Gnome 3), and I would go with the Net Install CD, and make sure to check out the message about Non-Free Firmware (on the same page as download choices).

Beans

I just don't dual boot with Ubuntu Gnome but have at times 4 OS on one HD.