Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gtk-CRITICAL fails, login loop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Gtk-CRITICAL fails, login loop

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
    Well, I still have the GtK errors, but apparently the ACTUAL problem is that my graphics card is dead. I'm not sure if I should mark this "solved" or not.

If anyone needs to know: What I had to do was uninstall and reinstall both xserver-xorg and xserver-xorg-core, which is something I'd never heard of. That makes me able to use the resolution 1024x768. My monitor is actually 1440x900 but good enough I guess.

This morning when I logged in I was back to 600x800 and my "graphics" were "Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe." I have no earthly idea what that is. I found some threads where people had had the same problem but no solutions, or at least none that I could understand. I uninstalled and reinstalled xserver-xorg and xserver-xorg-core again, and that brought back Vesa.
    Well, if your situation is no longer attached to the problem in the thread, I usually mark it as solved. Bit of a grey area, that.

...so...if your graphics card is dead, a) how do you know? and b) what are you using now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post

...so...if your graphics card is dead, a) how do you know? and b) what are you using now?
    a) I don't, actually, I just know my system can't see it. I don't know how to tell, otherwise.
    b) Apparently, just Vesa. I don't really understand.
    Dell Inspiron 530
    Intel® Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz × 2
    OS type: 32 bit
    Graphics driver: Vesa: G86 Board-p413h07

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

a) I don't, actually, I just know my system can't see it. I don't know how to tell, otherwise.
    b) Apparently, just Vesa. I don't really understand.
    Oh. Well, if you have no card-specific drivers, the card is probably alive and well (yay!), but the software isn't able to see it (boo...). You should be able to see it, however, in the output from

Code:
    lspci
    I would (tentatively) suggest firing up the additional drivers utility again and seeing if the nouveau install works correctly this time (without the Nvidia driver remains)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    Oh. Well, if you have no card-specific drivers, the card is probably alive and well (yay!), but the software isn't able to see it (boo...). You should be able to see it, however, in the output from

Code:
    lspci
    I would (tentatively) suggest firing up the additional drivers utility again and seeing if the nouveau install works correctly this time (without the Nvidia driver remains)
    Huh. Okay, it looks like the GeForce 8300 is is still there, if I understand this, which I may not. I don't actually have the additional drivers utility, or it's not where it used to be. It's not in system settings. The software center says Additional Drivers *IS* installed. Where, I don't know.

Code:
    anna@anna-desktop:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM Controller (rev 02)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 02)
    00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection (rev 02)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1a.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
    00:1a.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 02)
    00:1a.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 92)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801IR (ICH9R) LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801IR/IO/IH (ICH9R/DO/DH) 4 port SATA Controller [IDE mode] (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) 2 port SATA Controller [IDE mode] (rev 02)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G86 [GeForce 8300 GS] (rev a1)
    anna@anna-desktop:~$
    Last edited by Crossbow; December 26th, 2013 at 10:51 PM.
    Dell Inspiron 530

Beans
    Distro

PS. http://www.geforce.com/drivers is unable to detect it, but apparently only scans Windows.
    Dell Inspiron 530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Huh. Okay, it looks like the GeForce 8300 is is still there, if I understand this, which I may not. I don't actually have the additional drivers utility, or it's not where it used to be. It's not in system settings. The software center says Additional Drivers *IS* installed. Where, I don't know.

Code:
    anna@anna-desktop:~$ lspci
    <blah>
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G86 [GeForce 8300 GS] (rev a1)
    anna@anna-desktop:~$
    Yup, your card is still there.

It's not in system settings anymore (I've no idea why; for some reason they moved it), it's now under 'software sources', under the 'additional drivers' tab.

Beans
    Distro

I found it in Synaptic Package Manager. It says I'm already using Nouveau, though. And it does see my driver, although today I'm stuck with this Gallium thing again.

Applying Nvidia-173, as that was the last one that actually worked for me.

ETA: Well, that didn't work. Nvidia-xconfig worked. Restarted X and was back to blank screen after login. X was hanging at "LOADING EXTENSION NV-CONTROL." I removed and reinstalled xserver-xorg and xserver-xorg-core because I didn't have any better ideas. So I'm back with Vesa, the Nvidia settings utility is gone, and I have the wrong resolution. I feel like maybe I'm missing part of X. I'm not messing with this anymore today. Having this working at all is a huge step up! I don't like having to remove and reinstall xserver-xorg and -core every time but it's better than nothing.
    Last edited by Crossbow; December 27th, 2013 at 06:05 PM.
    Dell Inspiron 530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm afraid you've got to the end of what I know about this part of Ubuntu; sorry what I do know hasn't helped. Why you have a gallium driver is beyond me; I was under the impression that gallium was for AMD cards.

Beans

I *think* that nouveau uses Gallium/llvmpipe as a software renderer for GeForce cards where hardware acceleration is not enabled/supported

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234