Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow Internet possible because of .local domain thingy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Slow Internet possible because of .local domain thingy

Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Nov 17 16:53 resolv.conf -> ../run/resolvconf/resolv.conf
    The traditional method of configuring the DNS servers and local search domain is to use a flat file (/etc/resolv.conf). The current way is to use scripts to dynamically create those entries. This is why the link above exists. The linked file /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf should now hold the configuration parameters,

In reading your responses it appears you really don't know what you have edited or deleted regarding this problem. This makes it difficult (if not impossible) to know what you have touched or how to fix it. It's not like there is a magic setting that will take care of all the problems. About the closest you will come to that is to either purge the package resolvconf or Network Manager, or possibly both packages and reinstall them after backing up all your data. If that doesn't work you may be looking at reinstalling the entire OS.

I know it sounds drastic but it may well turn out to be the quickest way out for you.
    -BAB1

Beans

So...reinstalling is the quickest? I'm cool with that. However, if you do, is it possible for you to help me fix my original problem (in 1st post)? Because Linux is really slow for me, and the thing about the .local domain thing might be the cause (or may not be, I don't know). Is there anything you'd particularly recommend that I do?

Any suggestion would help ^-^
    Last edited by lavini557; November 27th, 2013 at 12:52 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by lavini557 View Post
    So...reinstalling is the quickest?
    I believe so. Certainly the fastest and most reliable way to get back to a default install of the OS.
    I'm cool with that. However, if you do, is it possible for you to help me fix my original problem (in 1st post)? Because Linux is really slow for me, and the thing about the .local domain thing might be the cause (or may not be, I don't know). Is there anything you'd particularly recommend that I do?

Any suggestion would help ^-^
    The default Ubuntu install should not cause slow downs. If you are referring to slow wireless networking response using the Internet that can be due to a need for you to update the wireless card's driver (module). I've installed countless Ubuntu versions over the years and had no problem with the .local (avahi) daemon running. My workstation that I am using right now has .local running with no slow down at all.

BACK UP ALL YOUR DATA!

Then just install Ubuntu. Don't modify anything. If you are having connectivity problems ask them before you start mucking around with the settings. In that way we can make some safe assumptions about the condition of OS while diagnosing the system.

I always have a separate partition for my /home. The partitions are like this for a single disk (i.e. /dev/sda)
    Code:
    /dev/sda1    /
    /dev//sda2   swap
    /dev/sda3    /home
    This is not super important to the running of the OS, but there is no need to reinstall the /home directory if you need to reinstall again or install a newer version of Ubuntu.
    -BAB1

Beans

Ok, so I reinstalled Ubuntu (Xubuntu, to be exact). And I still had the same problem from when I started (which is why I started mucking about in the first place). The only thing I've done is use the Software Updater to update. Nothing else.
    Do you know anything to help find the exact problem with this network issue? Because everything is fine except my internet speed. I don't know why. Previously, I've tried Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, and Mint, and they ALL have this issue for me. And I don't want to go back to Windows again (FYI: Internet is fine on Windows 7, so I am even more puzzled as to what is going on that is causing this).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ok, so I reinstalled Ubuntu (Xubuntu, to be exact). And I still had the same problem from when I started (which is why I started mucking about in the first place). The only thing I've done is use the Software Updater to update. Nothing else.
    Do you know anything to help find the exact problem with this network issue? Because everything is fine except my internet speed. I don't know why. Previously, I've tried Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, and Mint, and they ALL have this issue for me. And I don't want to go back to Windows again (FYI: Internet is fine on Windows 7, so I am even more puzzled as to what is going on that is causing this).
    Paste the following in Firefox URL line
    Code:
    ...how fast did it come up?

Post the output of ping
    Code:
    ping -c4 130.132.35.53
    Last edited by bab1; November 27th, 2013 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Style
    -BAB1

Beans

For the Firefox link, it took 4 seconds for the page to appear and 13 seconds for the wheel (the one beside the name of the tab) to stop.
    And here's the terminal output:

lavinia@Pavilion:~$ ping -c4 130.132.35.53
    PING 130.132.35.53 (130.132.35.53) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 130.132.35.53: icmp_seq=2 ttl=241 time=28.5 ms
    64 bytes from 130.132.35.53: icmp_seq=3 ttl=241 time=28.8 ms
    64 bytes from 130.132.35.53: icmp_seq=4 ttl=241 time=26.5 ms

--- 130.132.35.53 ping statistics ---
    4 packets transmitted, 3 received, 25% packet loss, time 3011ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 26.545/27.985/28.881/1.028 ms

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

For the Firefox link, it took 4 seconds for the page to appear and 13 seconds for the wheel (the one beside the name of the tab) to stop.
    And here's the terminal output:

lavinia@Pavilion:~$ ping -c4 130.132.35.53
    PING 130.132.35.53 (130.132.35.53) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 130.132.35.53: icmp_seq=2 ttl=241 time=28.5 ms
    64 bytes from 130.132.35.53: icmp_seq=3 ttl=241 time=28.8 ms
    64 bytes from 130.132.35.53: icmp_seq=4 ttl=241 time=26.5 ms

--- 130.132.35.53 ping statistics ---
    4 packets transmitted, 3 received, 25% packet loss, time 3011ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 26.545/27.985/28.881/1.028 ms
    I think this is a Firefox problem. The ping time you get is better than times I get! The Firefox load time is unacceptable.

Post the output of these commands
    Code:
    nslookup 130.132.35.53 

cat /etc/resolv.conf
    Do you have Chromium installed? If not, you can install that with this
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
    ...How does chromium-browser work for you?
    -BAB1

Beans

Here's the output for Terminal:

lavinia@Pavilion:~$ nslookup 130.132.35.53
    Server: 127.0.1.1
    Address: 127.0.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    53.35.132.130.in-addr.arpa name = vip-wwwprd-01.its.yale.edu.

Authoritative answers can be found from:

lavinia@Pavilion:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    nameserver 127.0.1.1

And I did try Chromium...and it seems about the same speed (it might be just a slight bit faster but I don't know).

Beans

Here's the Terminal output:

Server: 127.0.1.1
    Address: 127.0.1.1#53

53.35.132.130.in-addr.arpa name = vip-wwwprd-01.its.yale.edu.

# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    nameserver 127.0.1.1

And I did try Chromium...and it seems about the same speed (it might be just a slight bit faster but I don't know). Side-by-side, they seem to have similar speeds. However, Firefox seems to have more moments where it randomly slows down for a period of time. Chromium hasn't had these random slowdowns, though.
    Last edited by lavini557; November 27th, 2013 at 09:30 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Here's the Terminal output:

Code:
    Server:		127.0.1.1
    Address:	127.0.1.1#53

53.35.132.130.in-addr.arpa	name = vip-wwwprd-01.its.yale.edu.

Code:
    #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    nameserver 127.0.1.1
    And I did try Chromium...and it seems about the same speed (it might be just a slight bit faster but I don't know). Side-by-side, they seem to have similar speeds. However, Firefox seems to have more moments where it randomly slows down for a period of time. Chromium hasn't had these random slowdowns, though.
    I think that Ubuntu is working great. The "problem" is not really a problem with any part of Linux, DNS or the choice of Internet DNS servers. The delay your seeing is due to Firefox's handling of Javascript. If you turn Javascritp off or use the Browser Ad On called Noscript you will find that the performance may be better.

Have you had any problems with the domain of .local ? Can you ping your own machine (Pavilion) like this
    Code:
    Ping -c4 Pavilion
    Can you ping your machine like this too
    Code:
    ping -c4 Pavilion.local
    What does Network-Manager show for DNS Servers when you look at the interface configuration?
    -BAB1

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast