Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow Internet possible because of .local domain thingy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Slow Internet possible because of .local domain thingy

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    I'm not sure I agree that the different IP for www.google.com indicates a DNS problem - www.google.com resolves to a 173.194.x.x (1e100.net) address for me as well - maybe it's a regional thing? I agree you should find out what's setting the my.domain.commy.com DNS search though
    Google has load balancing for regions so it can be a different IP address. I just meant that there are resolution problems when you ping google.com as opposed to using a direct IP address.

Normally I use a local domain to test. One that has a single IP address and domain name. Google is just more universally understood as a place to ping.
    -BAB1

Beans

bab1, that file apparently doesn't exist, because

lavini557@Pavilion:~$ cat /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tailcat: /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail: No such file or directory

I'm not sure why it's not there, but that thing you did note out did appear after one of the howto's I searched up - although I don't know what specifically. So that thing is definitely my fault (I can't remember which file I specifically changed, but I did edit a file. Definitely do not remember editing a file called tail). There were two things I did that I kind of remember (not exactly remember, but it might help you):
    -I edited a file called base
    -I edited a file that had something to do with DHCP and resolvconf (resolvconf is a maybe - I'm not really sure)
    I tried to look through my history, but I can't seem to find the thread that I looked in. Not sure how that happened o.o

Beans

Another place it might have been added is via the network manager applet - if you select and edit the connection (from the applet, or by typing nm-connection-editor in a terminal), look under the 'IPv4 Settings' tab there should be boxes for 'DNS servers' and 'Search domains'. They are grayed out if you are running 'pure' DHCP but become active if you have selected 'Automatic (DHCP) addresses only' in order to specify your own DNS settings.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by lavini557 View Post
    bab1, that file apparently doesn't exist, because

lavini557@Pavilion:~$ cat /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tailcat: /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail: No such file or directory
    I assume you meant
    Code:
    cat /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tai
    ...if the file isn't there it means there is nothing to append to the base file.

I'm not sure why it's not there, but that thing you did note out did appear after one of the howto's I searched up - although I don't know what specifically. So that thing is definitely my fault (I can't remember which file I specifically changed, but I did edit a file. Definitely do not remember editing a file called tail).

There were two things I did that I kind of remember (not exactly remember, but it might help you):
    -I edited a file called base
    -I edited a file that had something to do with DHCP and resolvconf (resolvconf is a maybe - I'm not really sure)
    I tried to look through my history, but I can't seem to find the thread that I looked in. Not sure how that happened o.o
    The base file is the standard boilerplate that should be in any dynamically created /etc/resolv.conf file. Might look there. If not @steeldriver's suggestions could be the answer.
    -BAB1

Beans

-bab1 - is "tai" a typo? Because I thought the command had tail, not tai. I'm assuming it's a typo, but just checking. And it has this:

nameserver 208.67.222.222
    nameserver 208.67.220.220

I think this is when I was trying to change the DNS server and someone said to edit the base file and add this there. Should I take it out? It was originally blank, if I remember correctly.

-steeldriver - I am kind of confused by your suggestion. I checked the network editor thing and I have the automatic DHCP one. Are you telling me to leave it like that or change it to DHCP?

Also, a general note that might help with figuring out the problem: After I edited whatever files I edited, I randomly disconnect from my network and cannot connect to it. The other computers in my house (my parent's and my brother's) are unaffected when this happens). I only get connected back after restarting or waiting a few minutes (I'd say at least 5 minutes). Anyone might know what's going on there?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

-bab1 - is "tai" a typo? Because I thought the command had tail, not tai. I'm assuming it's a typo, but just checking.
    Yes it's a typo
    And it has this:

nameserver 208.67.222.222
    nameserver 208.67.220.220

I think this is when I was trying to change the DNS server and someone said to edit the base file and add this there. Should I take it out? It was originally blank, if I remember correctly.
    What is in the base file now? My understanding is the the base file is used to create the /etc/resolv.conf file and the tail is appended to it.

-steeldriver - I am kind of confused by your suggestion. I checked the network editor thing and I have the automatic DHCP one. Are you telling me to leave it like that or change it to DHCP?

Also, a general note that might help with figuring out the problem: After I edited whatever files I edited, I randomly disconnect from my network and cannot connect to it. The other computers in my house (my parent's and my brother's) are unaffected when this happens). I only get connected back after restarting or waiting a few minutes (I'd say at least 5 minutes). Anyone might know what's going on there?
    The "network" is a shared resource. If you disconnect your computer it shouldn't affect others unless you are providing some services for others on your computer (file shares?). So basically you can come and go without affecting others most of the time.
    -BAB1

Beans

Well, the base file has what I told you: the DNS IPs (exactly what I posted). Should I remove that?

And yes, what you say is true about networks. But how do I fix it? And do you think this random, uncontrollable disconnecting-problem-thingy has something to do with the problem I have right now? (I'm assuming it does, but I don't know what it would be)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, the base file has what I told you: the DNS IPs (exactly what I posted). Should I remove that?

And yes, what you say is true about networks. But how do I fix it? And do you think this random, uncontrollable disconnecting-problem-thingy has something to do with the problem I have right now? (I'm assuming it does, but I don't know what it would be)
    Don't remove anything just yet. What do you get from this command
    Code:
    ls -l /etc |grep resolv
    -BAB1

Beans

lavini557@Pavilion:~$ ls -l /etc |grep resolv
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Nov 20 17:45 resolvconf
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Nov 17 16:53 resolv.conf -> ../run/resolvconf/resolv.conf

Beans

bump

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast