Thread: Can't read copy portected PDF files

Beans

Can't read copy portected PDF files

Hello everyone. It might seem that I'm new to this forum, but I'm not. I recently closed my SSO account and opened another one.

My brother got a DVD with some PDF books on it. He got it from school he enrolled recently and people he got this from never heard about linux. DVD is copy protected using TrustCont copy protection. I found ways to copy entire disk. But that is not our problem. Problem is RunMe.exe file that we must start before we open PDF files. It works only in windows, and there is virtually no way to make unprotected copy. Or is there?

We both use linux, but I have Windows on my laptop to. He uses desktop machine that is old and he only installs lite distributions on it, and no windows.
    Basically I just want to provide my brother a way to read this books in linux.

As linux users we felt this humiliating.
    Can anyone help.

EDIT:

I'm sorry if this post is inapproprate for this forum.
    Last edited by ivanovic.marko; November 16th, 2013 at 09:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Can't read copy portected PDF files

Any suggestions on stripping content protection from media files falls outside of the Code of Conduct.

Have you tried using WINE or a vitural machine to install an instance of Windows to read the files? It's not ideal but it might work.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

After a minute of googling "runme.exe" it seems it's malware? I wouldn't run it on your Windows installation. I suggest your brother contact his school and inquire about another method of getting these PDFs.

Beans

@tgalati4 I tried WINE, it doesn't work.

@oldos2er I'm sure there is malware with this name, but I think this isn't one: http://www.truscont.com/