Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost my Radeon driver and now can't install it

Beans

Re: Lost my Radeon driver and now can't install it

Well I was trying to install the driver, I have it downloaded and it is a .run file but when I run it it says I need to be a super user, I don't know how to run it as sudo/root.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Here is a link with info about the drivers for ATI/AMD, there mentioned your card that this is supported yet, but maybe it is not updated. although they mentioned the kernel version 3.11 at the bottom under the Audio section:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver
    Dutch speaking; understand English, writing is a bit difficult. Member of: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org
    be Open be Free be Ubuntu Reg. User #485479
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander - Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, ... (I deleted a wrong answer...)
    Last edited by heir4c; November 17th, 2013 at 05:26 PM.
    Dutch speaking; understand English, writing is a bit difficult. Member of: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org

Beans
    Distro

Right click on the file and click on "Properties". Look for the permissions. Check the box next to the text at the bottom that say: "Allow this file to run as a program". Than close that window and doubleclick on the file. Now you must get a window with options to run it or run in terminal or to display the text with gedit. If that not happens, than open a terminal and drag the file from nautilus into the terminal (now you see the file name in the terminal) and click Enter.
    Last edited by heir4c; November 17th, 2013 at 05:43 PM.

Beans

The permission of the file is set to root and all the options are greyed out. I tried dragging it in to the terminal but it said permission denied.

Beans
    Distro

Strange but ok.
    Type first in the terminal: sudo
    and click on the space bar and drag than the file into the terminal and then Enter. If it not work than remove the ' that you see at the beginning and the end of the filename in the terminal.
    Last edited by heir4c; November 17th, 2013 at 05:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

I assumed it was just a bug in 13.10 but obviously not. Is there no fix for this problem them?
    Support for the AMD restricted driver for your card stops with Ubuntu 12.04.1. If you installed or upgraded to a recent version of 12.04, the AMD driver will not work anymore.

Sorry, but Ubuntu versions newer than 12.04.1 will not work with the AMD drivers and your video card. You are stuck using the default open-source Radeon drivers.

AMD has dropped support for the HD 2x/3x/4x-series cards.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by heir4c View Post
    Strange but ok.
    Type first in the terminal: sudo
    and click on the space bar and drag than the file into the terminal and then Enter. If it not work than remove the ' that you see at the beginning and the end of the filename in the terminal.
    Weird, I tried that using sudo with and without the ' at the beginning and end but it says command not found for all combinations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Support for the AMD restricted driver for your card stops with Ubuntu 12.04.1. If you installed or upgraded to a recent version of 12.04, the AMD driver will not work anymore.

Sorry, but Ubuntu versions newer than 12.04.1 will not work with the AMD drivers and your video card. You are stuck using the default open-source Radeon drivers.

AMD has dropped support for the HD 2x/3x/4x-series cards.
    Thanks for the information, not what I wanted to hear but good to know anyway.

With regards to the issue of the fan running high all the time, I booted back in to the 3.2 kernel (had upgraded to 3.8) and it has fixed the issue. I'm not sure of the consequences of using the old kernel versus the new one though.

Beans
    Distro

Weird, I tried that using sudo with and without the ' at the beginning and end but it says command not found for all combinations.
    There must a space left between the sudo and the filename:
    Code:
    sudo 'home/your-username/Downloads/amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.run'

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by heir4c View Post
    There must a space left between the sudo and the filename:
    Code:
    sudo 'home/your-username/Downloads/amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.run'

Yeah that's what I've done - sudo '/home/alex/Downloads/amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.run' - but still the same thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12