Thread: Lubuntu won't boot after new nvidia driver

Beans

Lubuntu won't boot after new nvidia driver

Hi guys,
    I am terribly new to linux based systems, but as a die hard XP user not willing to upgrade his gear yesterday I chose to give Lubuntu a try and I must say: I really love it!
    With my 512 mbs of ram everything went smoothly (whereas in XP I spent most my time behind the pc waiting..) but this morning suddenly a software updater popped up and gave me the choice between 2 nVidia drivers (I have a Geforce 5200 FX) one that just said Nvidia and xOrg something, and another one coming from x.org or something called Nouveau. Pardon if the names are a bit wrong, I can't see them anymore, that's why I'm writing you

So after installing I kept on browsing a bit till I shut down and 5 minutes later wanted to check 1 more thing. But now Lubuntu doesn't boot anymore! Or well, it gets stuck on a black screen with just a tiny blue bar at the top (it seems its the exact blue colour of the login screen where you have the 5 dots)

Via this forum I found out how to access the safe mode, by holding shift when booting, and I've tried a few of the solutions posted here, but they seem to be for other problems so didn't work for me..
    Can someone help out a noobie?

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Lubuntu won't boot after new nvidia driver

hello, i would try completely removing the nvidia drivers you installed by entering recovery mode again. when you get there, choose the option that says "drop to a root shell prompt" (or something similar, i may off a bit on the wording). then type out the following:

Code:
     sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*
    press enter and when it completes, choose the option to continue with normal boot. hope that helps

edit: since you will already be in a "root" shell....you may not need the "sudo" part of the command....so if the command does not work try it without the "sudo" in front! sorry
    Last edited by fooman; November 17th, 2013 at 02:36 PM.
    MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5, CPU: AMD FX-8150 Zambezi
    MEMORY: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB,
    VIDEO CARD: ASUS GTX480
    SSDs: Samsung 840 series 250Gb, Kingston HyperX 3K 120Gb, PNY XLR 120Gb

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There are a number of postings concerning problems with support for the 5200 on 32-bit systems running 12.04 or later. I recommend reading this thread which might help.

Your video card is so old that using the proprietary driver may not be worth the trouble. Just remove the nvidia driver, and let the machine revert to using the open-source "nouveau" driver. What problems arise with that driver? I'd also give some serious consideration to adding more memory.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; November 17th, 2013 at 03:35 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Hi guys, thanks a lot for thinking along!
    Finally I could not make a lot of sense of the thread you recommended me SeijiSensei, concluding that the people there were experiencing different problems.
    Completely removing the nvidia drivers also didnt work, as it said that no nvidia drivers were installed -_-'
    So... finally Ive decided to re-install lubuntu 13.04 and thats from where Im typing right now. Trying to stay away from the nvidia drivers!!! My display is well right now, lets see how things evolve when trying to hook up my tv to the dvi port.

anyway thanks for the help!