Thread: Neat for Linux

Beans

Neat for Linux

I"m sure you've all seen the commerical for Try Neat. An application and scanner that will scan, import, organize and provide an interface for searching for your docs. I'd like to do that with Linux native apps. What apps does linux have that would be a good fit for this? I have a Canon MX870 (scanner, printer, fax, etc). The scanner doesn't work with Linux, so I could use a Windows VM for scanning, but what would be a good OCR app for converting the pdf, jpg or png, etc to some sort of text? I'm assuming the best database choice would be MySQL, but if not, please suggest. What would be a good web interface (I want to be able to look up items, like recipes, from my iPad)? Anything else that I missed?
    I'm not saying that it's a good app, but I'm pretty familiar with MS Access (for Work) and think that something similar to that would be a good fit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Neat for Linux

Have you tried using X-Sane with your scanner?
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans

The issue with the scanner is that it's a wifi scanner and can't connect. But what about software products that can be used to do the rest of the project? OCR, database, front end?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJunky View Post
    The issue with the scanner is that it's a wifi scanner and can't connect. But what about software products that can be used to do the rest of the project? OCR, database, front end?
    I'm pretty happy with gscan2pdf for archiving paper. Lots of things look really cool on TV commercials, the real-world non-TV experience can be a bit less spiffy. Personally I'm not fond of proprietary file formats e.g. paperport so scanning and archiving as .pdf works for me. Yes I know .pdf is an Adobe file format but there are non-Adobe read/write options for .pdf. I've never seen Neat work in person so don't know if the OCR/import into a database works as well as is claimed. In this case, "I'm from Missouri, you gotta show me" applies.