Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dell Inspiron 8600, non-PAE

Beans

Re: Dell Inspiron 8600, non-PAE

hmmm, sorry for all the questions... First combo only 3yrs? Don't get it, I think I am missing something...
    Unless... xfce = Xubuntu, no matter whether you install from the Xubuntu IOS or via Ubuntu (xfce and/or desktop). Is that so?

Yeah, it sure has been an experience on the desktop part/window managers. Never imaged there were so many options!
    Last edited by shabuboy; November 18th, 2013 at 08:47 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by shabuboy View Post
    hmmm, sorry for all the questions... First combo only 3yrs? Don't get it, I think I am missing something...
    Unless... xfce = Xubuntu, no matter whether you install from the Xubuntu IOS or via Ubuntu (xfce and/or desktop). Is that so?

Yeah, it sure has been an experience on the desktop part/window managers. Never imaged there were so many options!
    Welcome to Linux, the world of 'true' choice. Sometimes so many options can really confuse you. I guess this is one of the reasons why most longtime Linux users end with multiple distros on their systems. I have three: Ubuntu-Unity, Arch-Gnome-Shell and Fedora-Xfce. I like all three and can't just pick one and commit.

Xubuntu is supported as LTS for 3yrs. Well, lets just say its the choice of Xubuntu developers/packagers/maintainers. Ubuntu too used to be 3yrs. LTS. The Ubuntu team only recently, from 12.04, decided to go with 5yrs. support for LTS. On the other hand, Lubuntu does NOT have LTS support.
    Yes, they are all Ubuntu with a different 'desktop'.

Since you are trying desktops, allow me to suggest to you CRUNCHBANG. It too is light weight distro with OPENBOX on DEBIAN.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Have you tried Lubuntu http://www.lubuntu.net/

11.10 instals on a non pae system 12.04 also i think but ive used 11.10 recently on a few old laptops and they work great very fast now for some kids the same age.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by shabuboy View Post

... and I can add even more options:

- Install a system with the One Button Installer. You can try several systems based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS or a new Lubuntu 13.10 system which works thanks to fake-PAE.

- See also the first and several of the latest posts in this thread Old hardware brought back to life

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by stucazedmacca View Post
    Have you tried Lubuntu http://www.lubuntu.net/

11.10 instals on a non pae system 12.04 also i think but ive used 11.10 recently on a few old laptops and they work great very fast now for some kids the same age.
    Lubuntu 11.10 works well on old hardware but has passed end of life long ago and receives no security updates.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12