Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot install Ubuntu

Beans

Unhappy Cannot install Ubuntu

I am also new to Linux and am running into same issue - I think - I was able to run the live cd, which work fantastic. I then tried to install - with a complete wipe of my windows 8 OS since I do not want it on my computer and it got hung up about 1/2 through the process with a ubuntu screen with the spinning "wait" symbol all night (I got tired and went to bed and it was still there in the AM).

I am running a newly built PC with the following

- Gigabyte GA-F2a85xm-hd3 AMD A85 (hudson D4) motherboard
    - AMD A4-5300 Trinity APU @ 3.4 GHz w Direct X AMD Redeon HD 7480D (this is where I think the issue is, with the video processor)
    - 16 GB SDRAM
    - Plenty of room on two hard drives
    - 1 TB
    - 320 GB

I can restart and get into the boot menu and choose the DVD - then I get into the installation menu and can hit "F6" but when I try to select "nomodset" I can not seem to get it to bo beyond allowing me to check off the "nomdset" option. I have been at work all day - and computer is at home so I can not try anything right now - but I found some free time to do some research and located this thread.

Did this fix work for "sunnysanchit99" ??? I will check thread tomorrow and see if there is any advice and try again.

To be honest I am in law enforcement and do not have any programming background but I love to tinker with this stuff and get around fairly well so I am willing to try - relying on forums for help. I have been doing the same with android for a few years now and have had great success (with only one brick...).

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: installation error

If you hit F6 than you select nomodeset and use the space bar to check it. Than click Enter.

Maybe you can try the latest Ubuntu version 13.10.
    Last edited by heir4c; November 14th, 2013 at 09:14 PM.
    Dutch speaking; understand English, writing is a bit difficult. Member of: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org
    be Open be Free be Ubuntu Reg. User #485479
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander - Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cannot install Ubuntu

Have you successfully removed Windows 8?
    How were you booting Windows 8? Was it a UEFI boot or 'Legacy/MBR' boot?
    If you are not sure how to answer the second and third Question, boot with Ubuntu DVD/USb - 'Try Ubuntu Without Installing', open Terminal [Ctrl+Alt+T], run the following commands and post their respective output here:

Code:
    sudo parted -l
    sudo fdisk -l
    This Thread has excellent information about using NOMODESET options, read through it.

A piece of advice: If this is the first time you will be using a Linux OS then I suggest you keep Windows and dual boot with Ubuntu. Don't use Windows but keep it. The point is there are certain Windows applications and games that you may be used to and may find it difficult to find a suitable alternative to such in Linux. Linux beginner often gets frustrated with Linux when they face such niggling issues. Also most of the hardware manufacturers out there test their hardware on Windows and release their drivers only for Windows. Let me also tell you, in the same breath, that most of the hardware out there works in Linux, however there are certain instances where things get frustrating. So until such time that you are perfectly comfortable with Linux/Ubuntu keep Windows OS around.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

#2 - I tried "enter" and the computer became unresponsive.

#3 - I should have mentioned this in post - windows was a UEFI boot but BIOS allows both legacy and UEFI boots and I have it set to allow both. Should I adjust it to run just legacy?
    I think I will follow your advice and install windows again although the computer is mainly for browsing / music / photos and Ubuntu seems to cover all that. I had windows 8 on it but never activated it since I do not have a code - would an older version of windows work better w dual boot? Will windows 8 work with legacy boot?

Thanks for the responses and the help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

We can dual-boot with any version of Windows, since XP [Don't know about earlier versions].

Yes, Win8 will work in Legacy mode.
    Since you don't have the 'activation code' and if you are planning to pay for it, then you can ignore my advice, unless offcourse you want to. I don't see a point in paying for it, if you think Ubuntu can take care of your needs. With the kind of needs you mention, Ubuntu will serve you good.

I would suggest that you use UEFI as it is the new standard and the future. Legacy BIOS will be eventually phased out. So I don't see a point in NOT using UEFI when you have it.

#2 - I tried "enter" and the computer became unresponsive.
    You need to elaborate on that.

Beans

It just froze and did not do anything - I will try again.

I thought I needed to use Legacy for Linux - was I mistaken?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vincent.andrew.1 View Post
    It just froze and did not do anything - I will try again.

I thought I needed to use Legacy for Linux - was I mistaken?
    Do you still have Windows on the machine?
    Do you want to keep it or Remove it?
    From BIOS Switch to UEFI mode.
    This should guide you with your Ubuntu install in UEFI mode: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UE...DD_in_EFI_mode

But before you Install ubuntu, Boot your Ubuntu DVD/USB and 'Try Ubuntu without intalling', when the desktop is ready, Open Terminal [Ctrl+Alt+T], run the following commands and post its output here:
    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    sudo fdisk -l
    Lets see if you Hard disk is set for UEFI or Legacy.

Beans

I was just looking into the motherboard and found this on the manufacturers website

1. Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors, please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party website.

So my chipset is the AMD A85X and I have found this driver

AMD Catalyst™ 13.4 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver

on AMD's website - am I on the right path here? If I do not have a functioning OS how to I install the driver? Through the Motherboard set-up?

Thanks

Beans

Out of time for now - I will be back....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Don't worry, Ubuntu will provide the necessary drivers via 'Additional Drivers' from the application 'Software & Updates'.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post12821707

First of all you need to install Ubuntu. Reply to my questions in my earlier post, and we will guide you through the install. Also post the output of the commands as requested.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast