4 554MB 1000GB 1000GB ntfs Basic data partition msftdata

Model: ATA Hitachi HDT72503 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdb: 320GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 1049kB 304GB 304GB primary ext4
    2 304GB 320GB 16.3GB extended
    5 304GB 320GB 16.3GB logical linux-swap(v1)

Model: Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdd: 500GB

1 32.3kB 500GB 500GB primary ntfs

Model: ST94813A (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sde: 40.0GB

1 1049kB 34.4GB 34.4GB primary fat32 boot, lba

Model: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H73N (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sr0: 4700MB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 2048B/2048B
    Partition Table: mac

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
    1 8192B 24.6kB 16.4kB Apple
    2 3669MB 3678MB 9306kB EFI

Reply ro "fdisk" command

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
    256 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121126 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 1 4294967295 2147483647+ ee GPT
    Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Disk /dev/sdb: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x000d156f

/dev/sdb1 2048 593268735 296633344 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb2 593270782 625141759 15935489 5 Extended
    /dev/sdb5 593270784 625141759 15935488 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdd: 499.6 GB, 499635978240 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60743 cylinders, total 975851520 sectors
    Disk identifier: 0x01c613fe

/dev/sdd1 63 975836294 487918116 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Disk /dev/sde: 40.0 GB, 40007761920 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4864 cylinders, total 78140160 sectors
    Disk identifier: 0x278e6a65

/dev/sde1 * 2048 67110911 33554432 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

The last two drives are external storage for media - the 1 TB is the new drive and the 320 GB is the drive from my old set up. I tried installing on the 320 initially - should I try the 1 TB?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Cannot install Ubuntu

While you can have Windows with UEFI and Ubuntu with BIOS boot it is a bit of a hassle as you have to go into UEFI/BIOS and turn it on of off and choose system that matches each time. UEFI and BIOS are not compatible, so once you start booting in one mode you cannot switch, or from grub menu boot another system that is not in the same boot mode you started with.

Since Windows is UEFI, it would then be best to install Ubuntu in UEFI also. And now that main drive is gpt, you should partition all new drives as gpt so you will not have the above boot issue.

I have BIOS but use gpt. I have created my gpt partitions with gparted. Under device, create partition table, advanced, choose gpt not the default msdos (MBR) partitioning.

I would also suggest an efi partition at the beginning of every drive. Then you could make that drive bootable without the others. But you can install grub2's efi boot files in the Windows efi partition or both.

For the Total space you want for Ubuntu:
    Ubuntu's standard install is just / (root) & swap, but it is better to add another partition for /home if allocating over 30GB.:
    Only if gpt - all partitions in gpt are primary:
    gpt: 250 MB efi FAT32 w/boot flag (for UEFI boot or future use for UEFI, you only can have one per drive, so if already existing do not attempt another)
    gpt: 1 MB No Format w/bios_grub flag (for BIOS boot not required for UEFI)
    for gpt(GUID) or MBR(msdos) partitioning
    Ubuntu partitions - smaller root only where hard drive space is limited.
    If total space less than about 30GB just use / not separate /home or standard install.
    1. 10-25 GB Mountpoint / primary or logical beginning ext4(or ext3)
    2. all but 2 GB Mountpoint /home logical beginning ext4(or ext3)
    3. 2 GB Mountpoint swap logical

Depending on how much memory you have you may not absolutely need swap but having some is still recommended. I do not hibernate (boots fast enough for me) but if hibernating then you need swap equal to RAM in GiB not GB. And if dual booting with windows a shared NTFS partition is also recommended. But you usually cannot create that as part of the install, just leave some space. Or partition in advance (recommended).
    One advantage of partitioning in advance is that the installer will use the swap space to speed up the install. Thanks Herman for the tip.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DiskSpace
    suggested partitions for just Ubuntu on 3TB drive.
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/33643...rtition-scheme
    Another advanced suggestion from TheFu with Multiple / (root) - Post #5 similar to what I actually do
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2170308
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2021534

I would also shrink your very large NTFS Windows system partition and make the rest of drive a NTFS data partition. You still should not have fast boot or hibernation on, but writing into the main Windows system partition can lead to issues. Setting system partition read only by default and a shared NTFS partition as read/write may reduce issues.

Some examples of users that installed into second drives are in links in my signature.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Your 'New 1TB' HDD has GUID Partition Table [GPT], and this came pre-installed with Windows8.
    From GPT Windows can ONLY boot in (U)EFI mode. While Ubuntu/Linux can boot in both UEFI and 'Legacy/MBR' mode.
    Since Win8 came preinstalled and that we can see a FAT32 EFI partition you have UEFI boot Enabled. And Windows is booting in UEFI mode.

The best thing to do will be to install Ubuntu too in UEFI mode.

Wheras the older 320GB HDD has the legacy 'msdos' Partition Table. From this type of Partition Table, both Ubuntu and Windows, can ONLY boot in 'Legacy/MBR' mode. No UEFI booting.

If you want to install Ubuntu on the 320GB HDD then you will have convert the HDD from 'msdos' to 'GPT', this you can do quite easily with Gparted (available on Ubuntu install medium).
    In GPT formatted disks you can have upto 100 or more Primary Partitions, unlike 'msdos' formatted disks where you can ONLY have FOUR Primary Partitions. And to overcome this we use Extended Partition. So in GPT Hdd you don't need an Extended Partition.
    To boot from GPT in EFI mode you will need to create a separate 300Mb FAT32 Partition with a 'boot' flag, the following is the suggested partition on GPT HDD:
    300Mb Primary FAT32 'boot flag' #EFI Partition
    25GB Primary EXT4 / #Ubuntu system files
    25GB Primary EXT4 Free
    4GB Primary SWAP
    All the remaining GB Primary EXT4 /home or a simple DATA Partition.
    Warning: Deleting/Changing Partition table WILL result in definite data loss. BACKUP your Important DATA before.

To convert the Partition Table to GPT, open Gparted, after booting Ubuntu DVD/USB with 'Try Without Installing' Option.
    In Gparted select your 320GB HDD [/dev/sdb], and from the top menu choose 'Devices' and select 'Create New Partition Table', to select GPT use 'Advanced' settings. After changing HDD to GPT recreate partitions as suggested.

REBOOT.

Boot Ubuntu DVD/USB in EFI mode, this is important if you want to install in UEFI mode. See Instructions here.
    Install using 'Something Else' Option and manually tell Ubuntu where to install, if you leave to default installer then it will install to /dev/sda 1TB hdd.
    Install GRUB to /dev/sdb.

EDIT: oldfred beat me to it
    Last edited by fantab; November 17th, 2013 at 05:16 PM.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Thank you both.

Between my post and your responses I tried the live CD again but this time I ran it in UEFI instead of legacy. I then installed from the live CD onto the 1 TB drive and it was successful. So problem solved.

But now I would like to format my 320 GB drive and can not seem to do so since that is where I tried to install Ubuntu last time and it is telling me I am not the owner. I think the answer is in fantabs post.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by vincent.andrew.1 View Post
    Thank you both.

Between my post and your responses I tried the live CD again but this time I ran it in UEFI instead of legacy. I then installed from the live CD onto the 1 TB drive and it was successful. So problem solved.

But now I would like to format my 320 GB drive and can not seem to do so since that is where I tried to install Ubuntu last time and it is telling me I am not the owner. I think the answer is in fantabs post.
    First of all, Congrats!

Did you try to format the HDD from installed Ubuntu or Live Ubuntu?
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

From the installed version. The disks properties tell mer "root" is the owner.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If linux formated, you need to set ownership & permissions with chown & chmod. Unmount first if auto mounted by Nautilus, so you can manually remount.
    If it was an old install, it may be easier to recreate it first as it is full of Ubuntu system files. If you just want a data partition, you would want to delete all those. Reformatted would be the quickest way to delete everything.

#if not known to list partitions, change sda5 to your data partition or create multiples with different mount points
    # is comment, do not type
    sudo parted -l
    sudo mkdir /mnt/data
    sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/data
    #where sda5 needs to be your drive, partition
    sudo chmod -R a+rwX,o-w /mnt/data
    # Note that the -R is recursion and everything is changed, do NOT run on any system partitions.
    #All directories will be 775.
    #All files will be 664 except those that were set as executable to begin with.
    sudo chown -R $USER:$USER /mnt/data

If a permanent drive that will always be mounted you will want to add it to fstab. Then on reboots it is always mounted.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1983336
    Mount & edit fstab from Morbius1 - suggest using templates instead. Post #6
    Last edited by oldfred; November 17th, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thank you both - I really appreciate it - some of what you are saying is starting to make sense but I am a cop with no programming back ground so some of this is a bit above my level of understanding, but I am catching on and I can follow directions.
    My goal is to have the the 1 TB drive as my main drive and to use the 320 GB drive merely for storage - docs / music / etc...
    I bought the 1 TB for this build and had the 320 GB from the old build. Unfortunately I did try to instal Linux on the 320 initially since windows was on 1 TB - but now windows is gone.
    If I understand oldfred correctly following his instructions will get me to my goal, of having the 320 drive merely as a data storage device - correct?

I am stuck at work this evening and tomorrow so I can try this tomorrow afternoon / evening.

Thanks again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Should work. But again it may be better to make drives gpt since new main drive is gpt partitioned. If later you want to change it could require total reformat. But there are some conversion tools.

I actually like to make every hard drive a bootable drive.

I follow this logic but use Ubuntu.
    Creating a Dedicated Knoppix Partition for large drives
    http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux..._partition.htm
    Except I have multiple Ubuntu installs and rotate newest install from drive to drive.

Beans

I am good to go with OS and hard drive - thank you guys! This thread can be marked "solved".

One last question - should I be getting the ubuntu grub menu when the computer boots or should it go right to ubuntu? I am getting the grub menu.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast