Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 13.10 is unstable

Beans

Angry Ubuntu 13.10 is unstable

everything i do causes a problem. ubuntu 13.10 is very unstable.. if i try to enable or disable expo half my desktop disapears causeing even more problems you guys were stearing away from terminal just a smidge well now everything i try messes up and forces me to resest with terminal then icons disapear for god sakes i love the look and how it works but if i didnt lose all the work ive done by clicking one option and having to start over every time i wouldnt be so pissedupset and weather i have intel graphics or not im running a lenovo think pad aka awsome laptop it has 8gb ddr3 1066 ram it has an i7 quadcore processor the intel graphics dedicate over 3gbs of graphics ram, this computer is not the problem and it really makes me mad
    Last edited by QIII; November 15th, 2013 at 03:27 AM.

Beans

Re: WOW This is Nutz

also my restart/shutdown button in top right hand corner dont even work i had to get an application just to shut my computer down

Ive been playing with linux since it was 100% terminal based, its just killing me to see my pc messed up like this, in the first place i tried to install this beside windows instead ubuntu wipes my pc and installs it by itself that made me so angry considering lenovo has a bunch of useful software in windows that came with my pc, well ubuntu took all that from me and now im stuck with it untill i can afford to buy a new version of windows, and still prob wont get the preloaded software back, so if anything ubuntu might be free but your costing me way more money than your saving,

i'd really like some help in keeping my pc and ubuntu stable if that is possible and everything works ill love ubuntu and never switch and even donate if i dont have to buy a new windows copy. helppppp
    Last edited by QIII; November 15th, 2013 at 03:28 AM.

Beans

Fresh install or upgrade?
    Upgrades can be problematic as well as xx.10 releases being more buggy.
    The obvious solution would be to install 13.04

PS...and I don't think ubuntu will wipe your pc unless you wrongly select that option during install.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

ubuntu wipes my pc and installs it by itself that made me so angry
    I think that would be front page news if Ubuntu did this. Again anger issues.

ubuntu might be free but your costing me way more money than your saving
    Not having proper backup is costing you money, not Ubuntu.
    Last edited by CharlesA; November 15th, 2013 at 03:55 AM. Reason: snipped response to edited post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

13.10 is a testing release and will be buggy. If you want to use your machine for work install 12.04 which is a stable LTS release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by XUZAX View Post
    everything i do causes a problem. ubuntu 13.10 is very unstable.. if i try to enable or disable expo half my desktop disapears causeing even more problems you guys were stearing away from terminal just a smidge well now everything i try messes up and forces me to resest with terminal then icons disapear for god sakes i love the look and how it works but if i didnt lose all the work ive done by clicking one option and having to start over every time i wouldnt be so pissedupset and weather i have intel graphics or not im running a lenovo think pad aka awsome laptop it has 8gb ddr3 1066 ram it has an i7 quadcore processor the intel graphics dedicate over 3gbs of graphics ram, this computer is not the problem and it really makes me mad
    Messing with settings in compiz config settings manager is fraught with disaster with the unity plugin in any release including 12.04. It can really bork the desktop.

There are some minor tweaks that wont upset things. Such as unity icon size, enhanced desktop zoom and Wobbly windows .

On my system expo is ticked.

If all messed up best to reset unity and compiz. http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...-ubuntu-13-10/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 13.10 is unstable

Next time please use a more informative thread title. Changed.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    13.10 is a testing release and will be buggy. If you want to use your machine for work install 12.04 which is a stable LTS release.
    13.10 was released last month. It's not in testing.

The problem is not bugginess, it's that the OP is fiddling with internal options that conflict with Unity. I would bet they have tried to follow an ancient, Hardy-era guide to using Compiz.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Not a support request.

If you want support attempting to fix any of these issues please post separate threads for each issue with descriptive titles and plenty of information about the problem in the appropriate forum section. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi Zuzax, sorry to hear about your problems. Like you I also have Ubuntu 13.10 installed on a Thinkpad. In my case the Thinkpad x230. I do not find 13.10 to be unstable at all. I do get notices at regular intervals informing me that "Ubuntu experienced some internal problem - and would I like to report it", or something to that effect, but there are no crashes, and my work is not effected. Not sure if this is in relation to my specific hardware or software related. I did not expect a 100% stability with 13.10. Bleeding edge technology takes time to mature. Just testing this out on my hardware before deciding to go for the next LTS in April 2014 or not.
    These Thinkpads are awsome machines and I would like to have the best OS available on it. At the moment it is a toss-up for me between Ubuntu, Kubuntu and openSuse KDE. Both the KDE versions run briliantly on my machine, Ubuntu lags behind for me at the moment but I am not ready to make a final decision yet. Not realy a KDE fan from the looks side of things (reminds me too much of Windows) but I must admit both Kubuntu and Suse runs very stable on my machine, and they allow so much more configeration possibilities.
    Hope you get your problems sorted out. Have a nice day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast