Thread: Gnome Ubuntu 13.10 on Asus G74SX, 16 GB, 500GB & 750GBhD's & Nvidia 560M

Beans

Exclamation Gnome Ubuntu 13.10 on Asus G74SX, 16 GB, 500GB & 750GBhD's & Nvidia 560M

Hi Everyone I am new to this forum.

I have the above stated laptop I have been tired of Windows for awhile over the past year I have tried: Fedora 18, 19; Opensuse 12.3, Ubuntu 12.04, 12.10, 13.01, 13.10 and every time I have installed anything but windows 7 64 and I download a lot of programs and configure the system Linux breaks, EVERYTIME.

I got frustrated BC I do not want windows but I want something reliable, windows unfortunately is it does not break easily.

Now with the Linux installs all I did was install the system, configure the video card, remove some programs that I am not going to use that comes with Gnome Ubuntu 13.10 let's say; Games I'm not going to use, Evolution I am not going to use then I reboot and it hangs at the Gnome startup screen and the last time this did it I let it sit for 2 hrs.... nothing.... I loaded up my USB 4GB bootable drive with utilities to "Fix" Linux to no avail.

So in the end I reformatted my 2d drive that had Linux and threw up my hands thus the posting... Am I doing something wrong, I have 20 years of IT Project Management experience so I am not a noobie about computers or software I'm just frustrated.

Windows has ran it's course with me, Linux is configurable, more secure but if it breaks easily then what is the use..

I kept Windows 7 Ultimate one the 750GB HD and partitioned the second one with Gnome Ubuntu 13.10 over this past weekend then after spending like 4 hrs installing, configuring, downloading conky (COOL!) and getting the desktop the way I want then installing and removing stuff it breaks it won't boot...

So convince me that I did something wrong! BC I don't think I did and if Linux is that fragile then I'll have to stay with windows...

I have been doing this experiment over the course of a year with the same results...

Thanks,
    Jim

Beans

Re: Gnome Ubuntu 13.10 on Asus G74SX, 16 GB, 500GB & 750GBhD's & Nvidia 560M

Just to make sure I understand: You're keeping Windows and installing Linux on a different partition? To be honest that is the number one source of people throwing up their hands and walking away from Linux forever. I don't have much experience in dual-booting, and perhaps someone can chime in that can get you on track. Personally I'd much rather run Windows (if I had a particular reason to run Windows) on a dedicated pc, and use Linux on another.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Dual booting is very common and it works just fine if done correctly. Right now, the requirements for a UEFI dual boot are not as familiar, but there are a lot of users here who have the know how.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

As I stated I have Windows 7 on one drive (750GB) and I had Linux (500GB) and booted from the 500GB with the grub menu until Linux broke.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you are indiscriminately removing programs you don't want, you may be inadvertantly breaking your system.

Some applications in many distros are tightly linked to the Desktop Environment. By uninstalling them, critical dependencies, even the DE itself, may be uninstalled.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

I removed them through the Ubuntu software center... you can install and uninstall, if they were not meant to be uninstalled then why ARE they uninstall able? like I said Evolution, the default games I uninstalled then it would not start...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The disk is erasable. But just because you can erase the disk doesn't mean you should.
    Linux assumes you know what you're doing.