Thread: stuck

Beans

Lightbulb stuck

I can get around and do things in linux alright but I'm stuck on this one...

I use 12.04 LTS on a lower end asus k55a laptop, I havent had many issues and it's always ran pretty smooth.
    When I did my first install I gave up the whole drive to ubuntu swearing off windows. Everything has been going good and am learning tons. Earlier I went to do a reboot and when it came back it goes to the lavender screen/ubuntu logo and the blinking dots then the LEDS for the backlight blink once and the screen stays blank and black. I let it sit doing that for quite a while until I decided to reinstall alongside the other installation now i have dual boot ubuntu 12.04 . I thought I could just reach over from the latest install grab the files I want, burn them off to disk to save them then wipe the drive and do a clean install. Unfortunately when I did the first install I selected to encrypt the drive, now from the second install I cannot see into my home dir on the first install to retrieve those much needed files. I rebooted to grub thinking I might be able to go in the first install in safe mode but no go, I get to the screen where it asks if I'm sure this is what I want to do, select yes, hit enter and it just sits there for quite a while doing nothing. now i am here. when I'm in the second install and I navigate to my home dir there are links (Access-Your-Private-Data.desktop) but neither of them work. Can someone please help me ?

EDIT: I figured it out you can delete the post. I did a search for encrypted home dir in the forum and came up with http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...private.1.html downloaded the package opened the terminal and it decrypted and mounted my home dir in /tmp from there I am now in the process of copying what I need over to the new home dir where I will burn. I apologize for not doing the search first, I was panicky about my trapped data.
    Last edited by jeff32; November 17th, 2013 at 10:44 AM. Reason: solution found

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: stuck

A couple of tips:

1/ Generic thread titles won't get you far. Titles like 'stuck' tell helpers nothing and many won't bother.
    2/ Please use paragraphs rather than the 'big black blob' of text. Many helpers won't be bothered reading the blob.
    3/ When a problem is solved please mark it that way by using the instructions in my signature.

Thanks.

Glad you got it sorted, thanks for sharing how you did it, and good luck.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; November 17th, 2013 at 12:16 PM.