Thread: Learned something interesting about XBox

Beans

Lightbulb Learned something interesting about XBox

I heard the game CDs come with their own OS - i.e. each game installs its own OS when it loads. This keeps games from getting borked due to native OS updates (it of course has its own OS that runs when not in a game).

Pretty clever if you ask me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Learned something interesting about XBox

Quote Originally Posted by porcini_m.2 View Post
    I heard the game CDs come with their own OS - i.e. each game installs its own OS when it loads. This keeps games from getting borked due to native OS updates (it of course has its own OS that runs when not in a game).

Pretty unnecessary if you ask me. I have a Wii and it doesn't do that trick. If there are OS updates, they are either designed well enough not to break games, or they install new libraries alongside the old ones that older games require. Either way, no breakage. I think the PS3 works like the Wii in that regard.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by porcini_m.2 View Post

Source?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    Source?
    Here you go.

As someone who builds gaming machines and works with PC hardware on a regular basis - this approach, along with the kind of hardware used in that thing, kinda sounds... problematic.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Werne View Post
    Here you go.

As someone who builds gaming machines and works with PC hardware on a regular basis - this approach, along with the kind of hardware used in that thing, kinda sounds... problematic.
    Xbox One offers a total of eight gigabytes of RAM, a stupendous leap over its predecessor's 512 MB - but around three gigabytes of this is set aside for entertainment apps, system-wide Kinect features and communication tools like Skype, which run in parallel to games.
    Three gigabytes of RAM for Skype? That made me laugh. Ok, I know, its not just for Skype, but still funny. A gaming console that wants to be like my PC running Windows 7? No thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Imagine what could happen to games if someone just built a game console with that much ass behind it. All resouces to the game? No apps and such, and certainly not that garbage Skype. But I guess the bottom line is this, if I wanted another computer that could also play games, I would just buy a computer that could game too. With no mandatory Kinect needed.