Thread: App-style folder? for quick access

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

App-style folder? for quick access

I got an idea! And I have no idea if this idea is already in use. But I believe it is, but I have no idea what to search for. That's lots of "idea"s right?

You know on your phone, I use android for example.
    I can make a folder on my android phone, clicking ONE time on this folder, all applications/stuffs I have in this folder, will be shown, and I can click any of these apps/stuffs.

THIS, I want on my ubuntu desktop. So I can make a folder, then just ONE time click it, to reveal everything inside the folder.
    THAT is so much faster, smoother, awesomeness other than a normal folder where I have to bother doubleclick it, and then have it to open itself, and then be able to open whatever I want in that folder, and then needing to close it.

Reason due this, and what I got it from. Was when I now had installed microsoft office on my computer, I find that I should save the shortcuts to access them easy (as they have the correct icon, if I search on them on the applications menu for ubuntu, they will show up with wine icon etc).
    And I don't want lots of icons on my desktop, I want to keep it quite clean.
    so then it would be so easy having this folder which saves me a second or two, and also just helps me with the flow.

[edit]
    I use GNOME btw. Ubuntu 12.04.3
    Last edited by Niemil; November 12th, 2013 at 06:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: App-style folder? for quick access

Unfortunately, you state you're using gnome.
    If you had unity, maybe drawers would be what you want
    https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/drawers/
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful