Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Programming music?

Beans

Good Programming music?

I'm looking to put together a playlist of songs to listen to while programming, but all the songs I know are extremely distracting XD Anyone have any good ones?

Beans

Re: Good Programming music?

Are you talking about songs or genres? What kind of music do you like?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by brian_brain2 View Post
    Are you talking about songs or genres? What kind of music do you like?
    I'm just talking about songs in general, I basically like all genres, but not all songs from all genres(if that makes sense)

Beans

Smile Re: Good Programming music?

Quote Originally Posted by josh17 View Post
    I'm just talking about songs in general, I basically like all genres, but not all songs from all genres(if that makes sense)
    Well, depending on your taste, by its definition, the so-called "Pure Ambient Music", that is ambient music in its "classical form" as it was played/produced by Mr. Brian Eno and the likes along 1970s and early 1980s, should fit with your needs, I've often used it as a background, but some people get asleep as a side effect, so it's up to you.
    For example, you can download plenty of tracks (for free) at

http://www.ambientblog.net

a blog that features new and emerging artists in this kind of music (and similar genres)
    Last edited by TheDoktor; November 12th, 2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: it wasnt properly saved the whole content, so I had to fix it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoktor View Post
    Well, depending on your taste, by its definition, the so-called "Pure Ambient Music", that is ambient music in its "classical form" as it was played/produced by Mr. Brian Eno and the likes along 1970s and early 1980s, should fit with your needs, I've often used it as a background, but some people get asleep as a side effect, so it's up to you.
    For example, you can download plenty of tracks (for free) at

http://www.ambientblog.net

a blog that features new and emerging artists in this kind of music (and similar genres)
    Those songs don't really seem like songs to me :/ just a few ambient noises, one after another. Or maybe I just clicked on bad ones, idk XD

Beans

I thought you were not looking for songs, I am very sorry, I misunderstood

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoktor View Post
    I thought you were not looking for songs, I am very sorry, I misunderstood
    If by "songs" you mean music with lyrics in it, then no I'm not looking for that. Think "light electronic", something catchy, but not so hard as to be distracting.

Beans
    Hidden!

Well this user in Grooveshark broadcasts what he believes is good music for programming, you can have a listen at - http://grooveshark.com/#!/writhem/broadcast

Beans

I like mellowish electronic music when I program, but I don't really have a playlist; I put a few pieces I knew into a Pandora station and just keep it cultivated to keep out distracting music.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Speaking from research in my offline life, any music with lyrics is probably going to be distracting. May I suggest some Bach piano music, Gould's Goldberg Variations, for instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2YMSt3yfko

The one thing that could be an issue is that Gould hums (a trademark of his) through everything and the human voice, without words, can also be extremely distracting for some individuals. Lots of classical piano music out there, though, minus the humming.

Whatever style/genre you go for, avoid lyrics.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; November 13th, 2013 at 07:36 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast