Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Good Programming music?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    100

    Good Programming music?

    I'm looking to put together a playlist of songs to listen to while programming, but all the songs I know are extremely distracting XD Anyone have any good ones?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Beans
    8

    Re: Good Programming music?

    Are you talking about songs or genres? What kind of music do you like?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    100

    Re: Good Programming music?

    Quote Originally Posted by brian_brain2 View Post
    Are you talking about songs or genres? What kind of music do you like?
    I'm just talking about songs in general, I basically like all genres, but not all songs from all genres(if that makes sense)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Beans
    8

    Smile Re: Good Programming music?

    Quote Originally Posted by josh17 View Post
    I'm just talking about songs in general, I basically like all genres, but not all songs from all genres(if that makes sense)
    Well, depending on your taste, by its definition, the so-called "Pure Ambient Music", that is ambient music in its "classical form" as it was played/produced by Mr. Brian Eno and the likes along 1970s and early 1980s, should fit with your needs, I've often used it as a background, but some people get asleep as a side effect, so it's up to you.
    For example, you can download plenty of tracks (for free) at

    http://www.ambientblog.net

    a blog that features new and emerging artists in this kind of music (and similar genres)
    Last edited by TheDoktor; November 12th, 2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: it wasnt properly saved the whole content, so I had to fix it

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    100

    Re: Good Programming music?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoktor View Post
    Well, depending on your taste, by its definition, the so-called "Pure Ambient Music", that is ambient music in its "classical form" as it was played/produced by Mr. Brian Eno and the likes along 1970s and early 1980s, should fit with your needs, I've often used it as a background, but some people get asleep as a side effect, so it's up to you.
    For example, you can download plenty of tracks (for free) at

    http://www.ambientblog.net

    a blog that features new and emerging artists in this kind of music (and similar genres)
    Those songs don't really seem like songs to me :/ just a few ambient noises, one after another. Or maybe I just clicked on bad ones, idk XD

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Beans
    8

    Re: Good Programming music?

    I thought you were not looking for songs, I am very sorry, I misunderstood

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    100

    Re: Good Programming music?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoktor View Post
    I thought you were not looking for songs, I am very sorry, I misunderstood
    If by "songs" you mean music with lyrics in it, then no I'm not looking for that. Think "light electronic", something catchy, but not so hard as to be distracting.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Good Programming music?

    Well this user in Grooveshark broadcasts what he believes is good music for programming, you can have a listen at - http://grooveshark.com/#!/writhem/broadcast

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Beans
    3,421

    Re: Good Programming music?

    I like mellowish electronic music when I program, but I don't really have a playlist; I put a few pieces I knew into a Pandora station and just keep it cultivated to keep out distracting music.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oblivion
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Good Programming music?

    Speaking from research in my offline life, any music with lyrics is probably going to be distracting. May I suggest some Bach piano music, Gould's Goldberg Variations, for instance:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2YMSt3yfko

    The one thing that could be an issue is that Gould hums (a trademark of his) through everything and the human voice, without words, can also be extremely distracting for some individuals. Lots of classical piano music out there, though, minus the humming.

    Whatever style/genre you go for, avoid lyrics.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; November 13th, 2013 at 07:36 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •