Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Dell Venue Pro 8/11 with ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Dell Venue Pro 8/11 with ubuntu?

I've got a Venue 10 Pro 5056 with Ubuntu 16.04.1 kernel 4.4.0-31 and below are the issues I'm currently experiencing:

- Touch screen not functioning
    - Power button is not recognized
    - Dell Venue keyboard brightness is not recognized (even root manual changes to brightness/ actual_brightness file makes no difference)

Other then the above, everything is working perfectly. I couldn't bare Windows any longer, so am willing to stick with Ubuntu until the above are fixed!

I'd like to think I can poke around a little, but I'm no expert...if any info is needed to help on this, I can post outputs and what not.

By the way....battery life difference between running Windows 10 and Ubuntu? Windows would reach 4~ hours. Ubuntu - still measuring and nearing the end of the day...ha!

Beans

Re: Dell Venue Pro 8/11 with ubuntu?

After some poking around, I couldn't find any touchscreen device using lsusb or xinput, so I started simply experimenting using the terminal application "screen" and the ttySxx files located in /dev/.

I placed an entry within the rc.local file to use a fujitsu driver for the ttyS0 device, even though the screen application would have no input from the touchscreen (I was just making a random change with no expectation of change). With a restart, still no difference although the xinput showed a Fujitsu device with id=11 (I thought "meh", probably just the input I made). I removed this change, restarted the tablet and for the most random of reasons, this has now appeared:

Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
    ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ ITE Tech. Inc. ITE Device(8910) id=8 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ ITE Tech. Inc. ITE Device(8910) Touchpad id=9 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom HID 4810 Pen stylus id=10 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom HID 4810 Finger touch id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom HID 4810 Pen eraser id=14 [slave pointer (2)]

You can see there is now a Wacom touchscreen. Interestingly enough, the id is 11, the same as the random ttyS device I selected to use the fujitsu driver.

Anyhow, before all of this I updated the kernel to 4.4.0-34, the newest update, which had no effect before the above. It is possible it did, but it was not apparent until the above was done.

No idea if this would be useful, as I don't believe I made any changes to the system...but it's working for now, which is great.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516